Spray painting a fridge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to spray-paint my fridge silver or maybe another colour. Has anyone tried this? If so, any tips or recommendations of which paint to use? Thank you!

Sponsored Links
If you are an amateur, metallic paints, especially silver, are the hardest to get a good finish with, as the grain of the metal particles will vary with distance and thickness of coat and make it look patchy . Practice on some boxes and biscuit tins until you think you are perfect.

It can be done with aerosol paints; in which case, mask off well; cover everything in the room that you don't want paint on (including the floor) or do it outside on a day when there is absolutely no wind or insects. Have some little jars handy with thinners in to put the spray nozzles in when they get clogged. Wear plastic gloves (not rubber which will dissolve).

Prepare well - dead smooth clean surface. Apply primers which are easier than finish coats and smooth off with extra fine wet and dry.

Apply several thin coats. When you don't follow this advice leave it to go fully hard for a few days and smooth off the runs, sags and orange peel with your wet and dry and start again.

If you are painting small items, put them on a stand inside a cardboard box and spray them inside that, to protect from wind and dust. Turn them between coats. Paint the backs before the fronts.

Alternatively, pay someone else to do it. Or, if you are a skilled brush-painter, it is possible to get a very smooth finish on a steel surface.

I agree...go to your local car body shop if you really rate the thing

If you do it yourself I bet you make a right pig's ear of it and end up buying a new silver one. Come back and tell us how you got on. If you do it yourself and think you did it well, post a pic - you won't get a proper manufacturer's finish, it'll be average at best. Just my opinion though. By all means, have a go, but I reckon it'll be a cock up.

Sponsored Links
Ditto..a certain upcock

It will end up looking like something a bunch of students have done in a rented house

Blurdy hell! Z agrees!! :LOL:
You're alright spraying small stuff, but the large areas that are involved on the sides of a fridge will show up the slightest flaw. DON'T DO IT!

Thanks for the encouragement and constructive advice you lot. I ignored it all, painted it today and it looks superb, thanks!

If that's true then well done you. But as I don't believe you, please post photos for proof. ;)
And if you actually did do it, why even bother asking if you fully intended to do it anyway? Seems you've just wasted our time. :rolleyes:

Go for it.

If you cock it up you can spray with another silver until you get it right.

Forget the doom mongers, it won't be the end of the world.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back