Spray painting curtain rail

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning guys,

I've got two old metal curtain rails with a pulley system. My plan is to get them sprayed/painted matt black to go with our decorating so far. The old strings and handles will be replaced too.
I just need some advice on the prep. I have no idea what metal it is, all I can say is it feels light, and is a brassy colour. It is ribbed horizontally which will make sanding a bit tricky.
Main points are, if it is already treated metal, will degreasing and keying it make it accept the metal spray? I've recently had a brass fire guard and trim sprayed the same, with no undercoat just degreasing and keying, and that worked well with the same metal spray. I'll attach some pictures, as someone might recognise the rail.
1494579826601-1223468261.jpg

Sponsored Links
thought !
Would the continuous use of opening closing the curtains mean that the curtain rings will scratch the paint off the rod. IMO its time to replace.

thought !
Would the continuous use of opening closing the curtains mean that the curtain rings will scratch the paint off the rod. IMO its time to replace.

I pondered this. The large sickle hooks don't actually touch the runner, the hooks move along by a wheel. We are looking to keep, as curtain poles and the like are expensive for half decent ones. This one is fully functional, and I have the materials to paint it, and Im keen on the idea of keeping what I can by fixing it up.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back