Spruce up spare room which had to get torn apart due to wiring issues.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey everyone,

Just wanted to get everyone's thoughts on my plans for just making this room look clean.

It's a spare bedroom and the flooring, walls and ceiling all had to get stripped to resolve a wiring issue.

It meant I was left with no flooring just the wood that came with house which is in pretty good shape, flat apart from a few very small nails that need pulled and some very tiny gaps in areas between the boards.

The wall is papered with an almost flat design and some areas around sockets that were plastered when they had to remove the paper.

Celiing is fully plastered and flat.

I'm looking for the cheapest and cheerful way to decorate it it is only used for storage.

Would I be able to use one type of paint ( white to just go over all the walls, doors and ceiling ? Again not caring about the finish other than it looking clean and taking.

For the flooring would I be fine dropping some Vinyl sheet flooring without underlay etc ? along as I removed anything that is likely to tear it up like nails etc ?

My DIY skills are limited so this was my idea for something I may be able to pull off.

Paint whole room one solid white let it dry then roll out the vinyl to fit the room and cut round the edges.

Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
You really need to strip the wallpaper. Painting over paper looks terrible, it might bubble, and in particular where you have bits of it that have been removed the finish will look even worse. Might take most of a day to remove it, but worth it. I use a garden sprayer and diff. Then you may get away with finishing any imperfections with filler, and some sanding.

Flooring wise I assume you mean you have the floorboards exposed (in effect your subfloor). Definitely don't go pulling out any nails if you mean the ones running along the joists. You can hammer them down though.

As for the flooring finish, you can't drop vinyl sheet straight on the floorboards even with underlay- well, you could, but again it would look terrible. The easiest and cheapest flooring finish tends to be carpet. This also saves having to remove and refit skirting. Failing that, overboard with ply and then a multitude of other flooring finishes are possible.

Definitely agree with white though. All DIY-able if you have time and patience

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back