Another self-levelling fail

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I had someone put down a self levelling mix on my workroom floor in the basement on 1st April 2019 following a successful tanking job which I did myself. When I first saw the finished job I was bit surprised that there was a swirling pattern on the floor with some parts clearly cement grey and others looking like white sand. While cleaning up after sanding and painting the ceiling, I notice a bit of paper had become stuck to the floor so I pulled on it and to my surprise a piece of cement was pulled up with it. This made me wonder if the floor was actually sound so tested an inconspicuous bit with a screw driver and it seemed OK. Having completed painting the walls and all the woodwork today, I took up all the drop cloths to prepare the floor for painting and found that it had developed fine cracks radiating from the centre of the room to the walls! As the floor has not been subject to any stress I wonder whether the compound has shrunk as it has been drying out. The irony is that this compound was laid on a sound concrete floor and its function was solely to fill small surface defects. After reading the original post on this and suspecting that the mix was to blame, I tested several areas and found that while the cementitous bits were hard the sandy bits were soft and could marked easily. However, the cracks radiate from a predominantly cementitous area. So what is the problem? Not enough mixing, too much water, and should be done about it?

Read more: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/self-levelling-fail.508364/#ixzz5oqJNg9T0

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back