self levelling or screed ???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently had a new extension fitted, however were the extension meets the existing dining room and original kitchen the floor is out by 3 inch's. We were thinking of now having a step down into this new room from the dining room and the kitchen. The floor at present is currently up to the concrete slab with all insulation underneath and damp course. Can i just use self levelling compound to level the floor and bring it up up by one inch or do i need a screed mix laid, i only want to bring it up an inch at most, then lay laminate flooring over??????

Sponsored Links
how big is the area probably cheaper to screed the 3" level, self leveling compound is very expensive and to cover even a small extension to 1" will cost a fortune and probably won't be that succesful.
How come you have such a discrepancy between floor heights and whats the score at any doorways are you sure it hasn't been left 3" down to take the screed.
Just had a 75mm screed laid cost £600 materials and labour for 30sqm

the builder never checked the floor heights in the kitchen or the height from the dining room. So i think it was more guess work on his half. The plan was showing a gap for the screed to be lay at 75mm so If it needs to be screeded then thats what i will get done. but for me to keep the step down do you have to lay screed or can you just lay the self levelling compound???. the area that i need bringing up is only 10sqm. I have had a couple of quotes ranging from £120 to £300,So i have no problem getting it done by proffessionals. but i do have 2 25kg bags of self levelling mix laying around so i thought if that would do the job then i would have a go myself.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back