How to level a floor, drop to next room of approx 1cm-1/2&am

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a terrace house with the dining room leading to kitchen at the back. I have taken up all old flooring, including ceramic floor tiles in the kitchen.

The kitchen floor is about 2.5m x 4.5m. The drop from the dining room to the kitchen is about 1cm to 1/2 inch.

Is this too much for self levelling compound? Both in depth and in area?
I gather screed needs to be about 5cm min, so that doesn't seem to be an option.

I'm looking to put interlocking laminate tiles on it as a probable finish. (If it helps with info, the finish in the adjacent dining room will be carpet.)

If so what is my best option? I'm preferably looking for a DIY option.

Thanks,
David

Sponsored Links
It’s not deep enough for a screed; if you put anything else permanent down there to make up the level now it will be a real PITA if you or someone else wants to re-lay tiles or wood on the kitchen floor in the future. I would just put a nice solid wood threshold bar across the door but if you really feel you must make up the height difference, just put some suitable thickness ply down there first & lay your laminate tiles over that, at least it’s not permanent. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back