Spur cabinet LEDs from socket to 2 gang light switch?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm renovating my kitchen and am planning to add LED light strips (possibly dimmable) under the cabinets, joined with wire between cabinets.

Ideally I'd like to power the LED strips on/off via a switch just beside the main kitchen light switch. The main kitchen lights are currently powered via a one gang switch, and I thought it would be ideal if I could replace that one gang switch with a 2 gang switch to operate the main kitchen light and the cabinet LED lights independently. The switch for the LED strips would power the strips' power supply unit, not an actual light directly. Would that be possible?

If so, I do understand that spurring the switch for the LED strips off the existing main kitchen switch wouldn't be an option as there is no neutral in that switch, so I was wondering: would it be possible to spur the LED lights switch off a nearby wall socket instead (adding a FCU) and power the second switch in the 2 gang switch that way?

Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Would it be possible to rewire the feed to the existing switch to provide a neutral?

Would it be possible to rewire the feed to the existing switch to provide a neutral?
That would be the best solution (i.e. running the neutral from the ceiling rose to the switch) but unfortunately the issue is that there is an artex plasterboard ceiling which I really don't want to drill or dig into due to health and safety concerns (asbestos), that's why I am looking for an alternative way.

Sponsored Links
If so, I do understand that spurring the switch for the LED strips off the existing main kitchen switch wouldn't be an option as there is no neutral in that switch, so I was wondering: would it be possible to spur the LED lights switch off a nearby wall socket instead (adding a FCU) and power the second switch in the 2 gang switch that way?
sure it's possible.

Whether it's a good idea is debatable, the risk is that someone may not realise that the switches in the enclosure are fed from different circuits and may dismantle the switch without properly isolating it first.

Putting a warning label on the switch is possible, but that is both ugly and may not stand the test of time.

Using a grid switch, and putting a warning in front of the grid but behind the faceplate may be a good option. That leaves the warning hidden in normal use, but makes it visible while the dangerous connections are still reasonablly expose.

There is an option to spur off the kitchen ring with an FCU (for easier maintenance) and use a wirelss Quinetic switch > TLC Quinetic
Thanks, very interesting and such a simple solution, had no idea these even existed. The only downside would be that I could not integrate the second switch into the box of the main kitchen light switch, adding instead a second switch on the wall that would not match the style of the other switch and sockets.

Last edited:
sure it's possible.
Great, thanks! I'll just have to explore how to wire the second switch, as it will not operate a light but the LEDs power supply
Using a grid switch, and putting a warning in front of the grid but behind the faceplate may be a good option. That leaves the warning hidden in normal use, but makes it visible while the dangerous connections are still reasonablly expose.
Very good point about the risk - installing a grid switch with a warning hidden inside seems the best solution indeed. Thank you!

I found this grid plate online:

Would it fit into the existing backbox do you think or require a special one?

I would probably use these then (hopefully the MK grid plate and switches are compatible with the British General faceplate):

There is no standard for grid products, so generally all the parts (grid, faceplate and modules) should be from the same manufacturer.

There is no standard for grid products, so generally all the parts (grid, faceplate and modules) should be from the same manufacturer.

OK, I'll look for parts from the same manufacturer then, thanks.
Only remaining doubt is would the existing backbox accept a grid plate or is it necessary to install a special backbox as well?

Grid plates of that size fit on normal backboxes, but I'd reccomend at least a 25mm one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back