Spur of a FCU - to put a socket for under cabinet lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We are doing up the kitchen and we would like to have under cabinet lights.

To me it seems there are two ways of doing this, ones with go from the lighting circuit and those that plug into sockets. The later seem to an easier option in some respects.

Am I able to spur a socket off an FCU? I want to place the socket just under the cabinets to put the lights in.

Does this sound a good idea?

Suggestions and comments appreciated,

Cheers

Ian

Sponsored Links
Is the FCU already used? What I mean is do you plan to use the FCU to supply the new socket? Or is it already supplying something else?

Is the FCU wired as part of a 'radial circuit' a 'ring circuit' or is it a spur from a 'ring'?

The advice that you get, will be dependant on your answers.

Hi Stem,

Thanks for your reply

>Is the FCU already used?
Yes, the cooker hood

>What I mean is do you plan to use the FCU to supply the new socket? Or is it already supplying something else?
I want to add/spur off a socket.

>Is the FCU wired as part of a 'radial circuit' a 'ring circuit' or is it a spur from a 'ring'?
It isn't a spur but on the ring.

As it's on the ring you can run a spur from the supply side of the existing FCU direct as a spur to a new socket, or run the spur to a new FCU feeding the new socket for your lights and use the new FCU to switch them on and off.

Don't forget, work in a kitchen is notifiable to your LABC before you start.

Sponsored Links
Thanks again stem,

>As it's on the ring you can run a spur from the supply side of the existing FCU direct as a spur to a new socket
Great.

>or run the spur to a new FCU feeding the new socket for your lights and >use the new FCU to switch them on and off.
Do you mean effectively put a new FCU between the current one feeding the cooker hood and the new socket? That sounds a good idea, but my girlfriend was keen on being able to turn each light on and off individually as needed. I need to keep the existing FCU to feed the cooker hood, not that I use it anyway ;)

>Don't forget, work in a kitchen is notifiable to your LABC before you start.
Yup, not done anything yet and I am going to get an electrician to check my plans over beforehand too.

Thanks again.

Don't forget that this, and any other. electrical work in the kitchen is notifable.

See WIKI re Building Regulations Part P.

PS Don't blame me, it was John Fatscott's idea.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back