Socket from a fused spur

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In the process of installing my kitchen I took a spur from a socket then ran this through a FCU to the under cabinet lighting. After installing a corner unit I would like to put lights (that automatically turn on when door is opened) inside this cupboard as it is very dark inside. I have some that terminate in a plug. Now that the units and worktop are in place I can't run a spur from another circuit to a socket below or in the cupboard.

The FCU is accessible. Can I connect a 2.5mm cable to the supply side of the FCU and run this to a socket?

Sponsored Links
The FCU is accessible. Can I connect a 2.5mm cable to the supply side of the FCU and run this to a socket?
No, because you would then have more than one thing (the existing FCU plus the new socket) connected to the same ('unfused', prior to the FCU) spur.

However, you can, within reason, connect 'what you like' to the load side of the FCU. If, as with the existing use of the spur, it's just for cupboard lighting then both could happily run through the same size of fuse (I would guess you have 3A). That would obviously limit what could be plugged into the new socket but it sounds that it is going to be clear that it is a dedicated socket for the cupboard lighting, hence very unlikely that anyone would try to use it for anything else (and you could label it, to be sure).

Kind Regards, John

In the process of installing my kitchen I took a spur from a socket then ran this through a FCU to the under cabinet lighting.
So have you taken fused spur directly from the original socket circuit or spurred an extra socket the a FCU from that?
After installing a corner unit I would like to put lights (that automatically turn on when door is opened) inside this cupboard as it is very dark inside.
That can be done by using a make when broken contact
You could providing the circuit is configured correctly to allow this.
Is this circuit a ring final or a radials?

One thing you must do is rote cables in permitted safe zones and any cable buried within walls less than 50mm will more than likely require 30mA RCD protection and any electrical work carried out should be confirmed as safe be means of inspection and testing.

Sponsored Links
No, because you would then have more than one thing (the existing FCU plus the new socket) connected to the same ('unfused', prior to the FCU) spur.

However, you can, within reason, connect 'what you like' to the load side of the FCU. If, as with the existing use of the spur, it's just for cupboard lighting then both could happily run through the same size of fuse (I would guess you have 3A). That would obviously limit what could be plugged into the new socket but it sounds that it is going to be clear that it is a dedicated socket for the cupboard lighting, hence very unlikely that anyone would try to use it for anything else (and you could label it, to be sure).

Kind Regards, John

Thanks for this. Sounds like a good option and yes, I have a 3A fuse in the FCU. Assuming the socket is clearly labelled, will this method fall within regulations?

You could providing the circuit is configured correctly to allow this. Is this circuit a ring final or a radials?
When you say 'if the circuit is configured correctly', do I take it that you mean 'if it is a ≤20A radial circuit' (which I would personally think much less likely than a ring final). If it were a ring final, taking a feed from a socket off the supply side of the existing FCU would surely not be acceptable?

Kind Regards, John

In the process of installing my kitchen I took a spur from a socket then ran this through a FCU to the under cabinet lighting.
So have you taken fused spur directly from the original socket circuit or spurred an extra socket the a FCU from that?
After installing a corner unit I would like to put lights (that automatically turn on when door is opened) inside this cupboard as it is very dark inside.
That can be done by using a make when broken contact
You could providing the circuit is configured correctly to allow this.
Is this circuit a ring final or a radials?

One thing you must do is rote cables in permitted safe zones and any cable buried within walls less than 50mm will more than likely require 30mA RCD protection and any electrical work carried out should be confirmed as safe be means of inspection and testing.

I have taken a fused spur directly from the original socket and the sockets are on a ring main.

Thanks for this. Sounds like a good option and yes, I have a 3A fuse in the FCU. Assuming the socket is clearly labelled, will this method fall within regulations?
You're welcome. I can see no way in which it would be non-compliant with the regs. Even if it were not labelled, the worst thing that would happen if someone plugged a vacuum cleaner or toaster into the socket is that the 3A fuse would blow.

PBoD is right to point out that any new cable would need to comply with regulations as regards routing and RCD protection.

Kind Regards, John

When you say 'if the circuit is configured correctly', do I take it that you mean 'if it is a ≤20A radial circuit' (which I would personally think much less likely than a ring final). If it were a ring final, taking a feed from a socket off the supply side of the existing FCU would surely not be acceptable?
If it were a RFC then why would taking a spur from the load side be not acceptable?
My question/response was hoping to gather more information on the configuration of the circuit, as I didn't quite understand what was being explained.
If the FCU was formed as part of the RFC, then taking a spur from the load side would be acceptable. I wasn't sure if this had been formed that way or not. So I asked/responded with what I thought were relevant questions to determined what had been done.
If the circuit was a radial, again I cannot see why it would not be acceptable.

If it were a RFC then why would taking a spur from the load side be not acceptable?
It wouldn't - which is why I suggested that option to the OP! However you told the OP that his proposal to feed the new socket from the supply side of the FCU would be acceptable 'if the circuit were configured correctly.
My question/response was hoping to gather more information on the configuration of the circuit, as I didn't quite understand what was being explained. If the FCU was formed as part of the RFC, then taking a spur from the load side would be acceptable. I wasn't sure if this had been formed that way or not.
Fair enough. It had not even occurred to me that the OP's words could have meant that. My interpretation of 'to take a spur from a socket and run it through an FCU' did not include the possibility that the FCU was part of the ring. If that were the case, what would 'taking the spur from a socket' mean?
If the circuit was a radial, again I cannot see why it would not be acceptable.
As I said, if it were a ≤20A radial, then it would be acceptable for the OP to take his 2.5 mm² feed to the new socket off from either side of the FCU.

Kind Regards, John

However you told the OP that his proposal to feed the new socket from the supply side of the FCU would be acceptable 'if the circuit were configured correctly.
Well it would, if the circuit was configured correctly, do you think otherwise? If so please elaborate.....

However you told the OP that his proposal to feed the new socket from the supply side of the FCU would be acceptable 'if the circuit were configured correctly.
Well it would, if the circuit was configured correctly, do you think otherwise? If so please elaborate.....
I suspect that I don't really understand what you mean by 'configured correctly' ....

... as I said, my interpretation of what the OP has told us (in original plus subsequent posts) is that he has a 2.5 mm² cable ('a spur') going from a socket on a ring final circuit to the supply side of an FCU, the load side of which feeds his existing cupboard lights. I can but presume that your interpretation (maybe your meaning of 'configured correctly'?) must be different since, with my interpretation, it surely would not be acceptable for him to feed a further socket from the supply side of that FCU?

Kind Regards, John

I suspect that I don't really understand what you mean by 'configured correctly' ....

... as I said, my interpretation of what the OP has told us (in original plus subsequent posts) is that he has a 2.5 mm² cable ('a spur') going from a socket on a ring final circuit to the supply side of an FCU, the load side of which feeds his existing cupboard lights. I can but presume that your interpretation (maybe your meaning of 'configured correctly'?) must be different since, with my interpretation, it surely would not be acceptable for him to feed a further socket from the supply side of that FCU?

Kind Regards, John

Sorry if I have confused people with my description of the wiring. You are correct here - 2.5mm² cable (spur) from a socket on a ring to supply side of FCU. Load on FCU goes to cabinet lighting.

Sorry if I have confused people with my description of the wiring. You are correct here - 2.5mm² cable (spur) from a socket on a ring to supply side of FCU. Load on FCU goes to cabinet lighting.
Thanks for confirming. As I've said, it seemed fairly clear to me that this is what you meant, even if others were less certain. That confirms my originally-stated view that, despite what others seem to be suggesting, it would not be acceptable in terms of the regs to connect a further socket for your cupboard lighting to the supply side of that FCU - but, as I and 'other others' have said, it would be acceptable to take it from the load side.

Kind Regards, John

Thanks for everyone's comments. In the end I have taken a cable from the load side of the FCU to a switch (enabling me to isolate the circuit) then to a push to break switch in the cupboard then to the cabinet lights (via transformer).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back