FCU bathroom light cabinet and whirlpool bath

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a conundrum..

I have an old consumer unit that does not yet have RCD protection, (wired in the early 90s). At some point I will be getting a sparx to replace the MCBs with RCBOs or even the whole unit.

For the wirlpool, I am installing an RCD circuit breaker on the wall outside the bathroom and running to a flex outlet under the bath, to connect to to the water pump. I understand that if the FCU is protected by the bath Panel its ok to be in the bathroom?

The bathroom also has an existing old fashioned light with shaver socket. I am replacing this with a mirrored LED lit cabinet/shaver socket. The install instructions advise Spur off the 6A lighting circuit to FCU behind the cabinet.

But I don't yet have RCBOs on the lights.

Am I better to run a spur off the wirlpool spur (off the new RCD) up the wall to an FCU switch with flex for the cabinet or re-use the old wiring for the light and shaver socket to an FCU switch?

Ultimately it will have RCBOs in, but not for a while.

thanks for suggestions

Sponsored Links
I understand that if the FCU is protected by the bath Panel its ok to be in the bathroom?
Yes - but unswitched FCUs are ok anyway.
It's only switches and sockets that are not allowed in zone 2.

The bathroom also has an existing old fashioned light with shaver socket. I am replacing this with a mirrored LED lit cabinet/shaver socket. The install instructions advise Spur off the 6A lighting circuit to FCU behind the cabinet.
Do, they? An FCU behind the cabinet? You don't really need the 'F' part

But I don't yet have RCBOs on the lights.
Could you not fit a temporary RCD FCU in the loft?

Am I better to run a spur off the wirlpool spur (off the new RCD) up the wall to an FCU switch with flex for the cabinet or re-use the old wiring for the light and shaver socket to an FCU switch?
You could. I wouldn't call that 'better'.

Show us a pic please. Flap closed and open
IMG_4587.JPG

Sponsored Links
Yes - but unswitched FCUs are ok anyway.
Do, they? An FCU behind the cabinet? You don't really need the 'F' part

Could you not fit a temporary RCD FCU in the loft?

You could. I wouldn't call that 'better'.
Just rechecked - it says 6A Fused lighting circuit or 6A MCB, which I have. So I could just keep it tidy with flex outlet plate from the lighting circuit.

I understood all electric in bathroom must be RCD protected?

Ah, that's quite old. I don't think you'll find RCBOs to fit.

You don't need an FCU under the bath.

You can wire the pump, through the wall, to an FCU with integral RCD, preferably outside the bathroom. they used to be popular for garden sockets. I have an idea Timeguard still make them.

If you have wall lights or other outlets, this would be a good opportunity to do the same with their supply. I like the switch above the bathroom door, on the landing, where it is visible and accessible but unlikely to be accidentally touched.

When I used to RCD test, I found that garden sockets and FCUs have shorter life than full size RCDs and RCBOs.

Built to a price, I expect.

Ah, that's quite old. I don't think you'll find RCBOs to fit.

You don't need an FCU under the bath.

You can wire the pump, through the wall, to an FCU with integral RCD, preferably outside the bathroom. they used to be popular for garden sockets. I have an idea Timeguard still make them.

If you have wall lights or other outlets, this would be a good opportunity to do the same with their supply. I like the switch above the bathroom door, on the landing, where it is visible and accessible but unlikely to be accidentally touched.

that's what I bought to go on the outside of the bathroom wall

FCU or another FCU with integral RCD?

extractor fan is going in the loft (ceiling to eves option), so that wont need to be protected, just FCU for isolation.

FCU or another FCU with integral RCD?

extractor fan is going in the loft (ceiling to eves option), so that wont need to be protected, just FCU for isolation.

I'd interrupt the cable feeding the bathroom and use one RCD FCU for the whole lot.

You can have a separate 3-pole isolator in the loft next to the fan, to be used for maintenance. Presumably it will take its supply from the bathroom light switch.

The install instructions advise swpur off the 6A lighting circuit to FCU behind the cabinet.
As is so often the case the manufacturers instructions are wrong. There is absolutely NO NEED for a FCU on a 6a lighting circuit. A 3a fuse has no discrimination against a 6a MCB.

See further post, that was my mistake. Just needs a flex outlet plate then on to the lighting circuit. But given the latter posts I may run another "radial" from the RCD outside the bathroom up the wall and then down fuse it behind the cabinet.

So the new RCD has two load cables, one to the cabinet and one to the pump. I will check the pump and if its 6A, then no need for additional fuse protection at the lower amps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back