Using extractor fan circuit to feed bathroom cabinet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve a new bathroom cabinet - led type with shaver socket
If I connect this into the lighting circuit in the bathroom I won’t be able to properly use the shaver socket on the cabinet (and the light wouldn’t be on without the bathroom light on).
I do have an extractor fan which has a permanent live which appears to be on its own circuit with isolator etc. Is there any reason I can’t spur off this for the bathroom cabinet please?
Thank you

Sponsored Links
Just take the power from the ceiling rose, or break into the nearest radial

Blup

Just take the power from the ceiling rose, or break into the nearest radial

Blup
Thank you but that means the cabinet will only be on when the light is on which is a problem with the shaver socket charging toothbrushes etc

Thank you but that means the cabinet will only be on when the light is on which is a problem with the shaver socket charging toothbrushes etc
With the most common wiring arrangement, there will be a permanent live (as well as neutral and earth) at a ceiling rose.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Thank you. In my house (new build) there is only the live from the switch along with the neutral and earth, no permanent live

Whichever circuit you use it can be done correctly. Sometimes the existing light fitting contains a Permanent L as well as a Switched L but sometimes it does not. Any other circuit may be used but it must be adequately "signposted" for any users and those wishing to isolate/work on it. It must follow the rules for "bathrooms" zones etc for instance limit of reach and RCD protected and it must conform to Part P of the Building Regulations in England and Wales regarding safety and notification.
So, providing that you follow all rules for safety, yes it could be done that way if need be.
Whether any person is competent enough to ensure it`s done the safe legal way is a different question, some would be and some would not be. As Clint Eastwood said "Each man should know his limitations"

As ebee says as long as it is done correctly there should be no problem taking a feed from the fan which is probably fed from the lighting cct anyway...

Thank you I am going to follow that path. There’s definitely no permanent live at the ceiling rose - there’s none in the entire house. It’s within my competence and the cabinet is rated for the zone I will be installing in. Thank you to all

Thank you I am going to follow that path. There’s definitely no permanent live at the ceiling rose - there’s none in the entire house. It’s within my competence and the cabinet is rated for the zone I will be installing in. Thank you to all

Most homes seem to be wired looped at the switches these days

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back