Fitting Bathroom shaver socket into s/steel cabinet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to fit a stainless steel corner mirror cabinet into my bathroom but want to fit a surface mount isolated shaver socket inside the cabinet just si it is neat and out of sight. The bathroom earthing and electrics are all up to standard, but the question I have is is it advisable to earth the s/steel cabinet to the earth that feeds the shaver socket??

thanks

Sponsored Links
Thats a difficult one, on the one hand earthing metalwork that doesn't need to be earthed is considered a bad thing, on the other hand i can conceivablly see how damage (e.g. the socket getting smashed) could end up making the cabinet live.

why not fit the shaver socket under the cabinet, it should be out of sight.

Sponsored Links
I was also thinking about fitting a cornice type halogen light ot the top of the cabinet shining down (it is zone 3), so the same earthing question applies!

Speaking from the position of much electrical ignorance, but no small amount of common sense, I doubt that the Building Regulations intend that earthing arrangements are put in place to deal with the eventuality of a surface-mounted outlet being smashed by someone with "hygiene deployment skills" so questionably uncontrollable that such damage would ever actually occur.

Surely it would be far better to install an RCD at the CU?

Edit - I don't know what authority the following document holds, but it appears to have some reasoned suggestions.

http://www.iee.org/Publish/WireRegs/EarthingPlasticPipes.pdf

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back