Installing shaver socket from celing circuit without earth

Thanks for that John, I am very grateful.

Electricians in my neck of the woods generally want £200/day to turn up (minimum), much to my malaise my finances dictate that I have to do this kind of job.
The wiring in my loft is all easily accessible and I think that it would be a fairly easy job. What I would like to do is to do the re-wire, and then pay for a day for a Sparky to sign it off.
Green goo is interesting reading, it's just my luck I bought a house that is affected by this problem :rolleyes:

Going back to my question about my shaver socket, I understand that I need to earth the shaver socket end of my cable to my pipework, can I do the same at the ceiling end?

thanks in advance,
Nick

Sponsored Links
Chri5 said:
[ Now you have an earth in the bathroom area you can earth bond the steel cabinet (via a self tapping screw and a round holed earth lug maybe?)

NO!!

Firstly a metal cabinet is not an exposed conductive part nor is it an extraneous conductive part. You could possibly be creating a potential which would not otherwise exist and this is dangerous.

Secondly you cannot manufacture your own earthing lug on any piece of equipment. If has been designed to be bonded or earthed then it will have a lug or facility.

Nikouk said:
Electricians in my neck of the woods generally want £200/day to turn up (minimum)
a very reasonable fee
Nikouk said:
What I would like to do is to do the re-wire, and then pay for a day for a Sparky to sign it off.
It doesn't work like that. Ask your local council for their leaflet on notification of electrical work, the pack of forms, and prices.
Nikouk said:
Going back to my question about my shaver socket, I understand that I need to earth the shaver socket end of my cable to my pipework, can I do the same at the ceiling end?
you have to bond all the metal services entering the bathroom, to the earth conductor of all the electrical circuits entering the bathroom. This can often be done at the light switch or ceiling rose (provided it is properly earthed)

Have you read about Supplementary Bonding in our Wiki?

Sponsored Links
Firstly a metal cabinet is not an exposed conductive part

It could become one though, if a hole was cut in the back and a backbox was sunk into the wall behind... if it was done so that the edges of the metal went a little behind the acessory in order that it looked neat, then the edges would be in an enclosure containing live terminals...

you can earth bond the steel cabinet (via a self tapping screw and a round holed earth lug maybe?)

Better option is a nut and bolt with a serrated washer between steel and the lug. Self tappers are hard to drive into stainless and often work loose over time and temperature changes. Serrated washers ensure the connection is not affected by oxidisation of the lug.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back