Surace Mounted shaver socket in bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have tried a search for shaver sockets, but not found an answer to this one - so here goes:

I would like to install a shaver socket in my bathroom. My problem is, my bathroom is fully tiled and I don't really want to mess about lifting tiles etc to sink a back box into the wall. So can I surface mount the shaver socket?

I get the impression it not a preferred method, as it could stick out and be vulnerable to knocks and the risk bashing your head on it etc. (and probably because it will look 'orrible :LOL: ) The location I have in mind is close to a bathroom cabinet so this shouldn't be an issue.

So is it OK to surface mount the shaver socket (providing its located in the correct zone etc.) ?

Is it OK to run the cable down the wall in some mini trunking or similar?

I know it is not a very elegnt solution, but the entire bathroom will be redone in the future when the budget allows.

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Sponsored Links
if forced to surface mount one of those shaver socket's incorporated in a shaving light might look better?

I was going to say that you don't have to lift tiles to sink a box - use a drill jig, and a tile drill to get the holes started, and you should be OK.

But then I got to the bit about the cable.

I solved the problem once and for all, nearly 30 years ago, by growing a beard, but if that doesn't appeal what about buying a cordless razor until you are retiling?

Sponsored Links
Hmmm, some good tips guys :D

I am pretty sure I can position it so it won't look too bad, but what about the legalities of surface mounting the box and cable?

Ban: It's for a leccy toothbrush rather than a shaver, I am fed up with it going flat and having to remember to put it on charge in the bedroom :(

It's all perfectly legal in Zone 2 and upwards, as long as it's not going to get splashed. If the location is prone to condensation running down the tiles seal around the edges with silicone.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back