Sorry another bathroom earth question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Sorry for this, I know you must all be sick of bathroom earthing questions.
I have a fairly simple bathroom set up as far as electrics are concerned. Plastic pipe throughout and SELV lighting so no supplimentary bonding issues there. I have an earth free extractor fan in the loft connected to the bathroom via that concertinal conduit stuff so again no earth issues.

That just leaves on thing, the shaver socket. Our shaver socket is surface mounted and is inside a stainless steel cabinet. This means that the T+E comes through a hole drilled in the back of the metal cabinet, into the surface box and then connects to the socket terminals.

My question is should the cabinet be earthed and/or supp bonded to the socket. Can't find anything in the regs about this but it seems to me that there are possible fault conditions that could make the cabinet live so the cabinet should be earthed, but I wanted to check what others thought first?

Sponsored Links
Interesting one... I'd say you could take an earth flylead from the shaver socket to the cabinet, the shaver socket circuit should be sup bonded as usual (if you have any other sockets in the bathroom to sup bond)

I'm thinking if the cabinet and shaver socket was one product, it'd count as class 1 item wouldn't it?

Cheers for the quick reply Adam
That's one vote for earthing then. By the way what do you mean by the tem 'flylead'?

Oh there are no other sockets or anything else to supplimentary bond. YAY! :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back