Shaver Socket In Mirror Cabinet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a mirror cabinet with lighting and a built in shaver socket.

The retailer sent an electrician over to check if it was earthed, as apparently, some were not.

He also checked to see if the shaver socket had an isolating transformer fitted.

The electrician checked the earth by looking to see if a CPC was connected (it was).

He checked the shaver socket to see if it had an IT fitted (it did not).

He also checked the position of the cabinet to make sure it was outside the zones (it was).

He declared it safe as apparently the socket outlet only needs an IT if it is in Z1. He also declared it safe as there was a CPC connected.

Regs say except for SELV sockets and shaver supply units complying with 61558-2-5, no socket outlets should be installed within 3m of the boundary of Z1.

Sponsored Links
The only conclusion is that the 'electrician' was in reality someone who had been shown how to check a couple of specific items and that was all.

Sponsored Links
Not sure the distance makes a difference (as long as it is outside) but the side of the cabinet nearest to the shower cubicle is 65cm away.

Yeah. But the retailer is adamant that they have fulfilled their obligations.
I feel a stiffly-worded letter coming on.

It was, however, sold as a product to be fitted in bathrooms.

In which zones, or how far from them?

It is not the retailers fault if you put it where it shouldn't be if they had accurately described it.

But if they did say it had a transformer, or did say it could be installed "in bathrooms", then they are liable.

Well, I think they are acting liable.

They sent a letter saying that in some cases the unit could present a risk of electric shock because a), it may not be earthed and b), it may need an IT fitting. They said if it was necessary, it would be rectified by their "qualified electrician".

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back