Bathroom mirror with Euro socket instead of shaver

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just bought a bathroom cabinet off Wayfair. Instead of the shaver socket advertised it has a European 2-pin socket inside. Whilst I could just buy a 2-pin Euro to 2-pin shaver adapter, would that be "safe" and would my electrician even be permitted to install this thing into a UK bathroom?

Sponsored Links
Needs to comply with BS EN 61558-2-5 to be frank many bathroom mirrors with shaver output don't comply, it needs an isolation transformer so it is a IT supply, and shutters, which often work a switch so transformer only switched on when some thing plugged in and a maximum output I think 300 mA.

Sponsored Links
Needs to comply with BS EN 61558-2-5 to be frank many bathroom mirrors with shaver output don't comply, it needs an isolation transformer so it is a IT supply, and shutters, which often work a switch so transformer only switched on when some thing plugged in and a maximum output I think 300 mA.

I guess if I was installing it myself I might just crack on, but since it's being done by an electrician as part of an extension under building regs I/we need to do things by the book. They're not back until 2nd fix, so I'll just send it back and spend a bit more on a proper UK sourced one.

Minimum distance from the bath or shower is 2.5 meters effective from September 2022, however that probably doesn't change anything.

We don't know whether this mirror has an isolation transformer in it or not. Many continental ones do in fact have isolation transformers. So you need to find out first.

We don't know whether this mirror has an isolation transformer in it or not. Many continental ones do in fact have isolation transformers. So you need to find out first.
I opened up the compartment it's mounted to peek inside. It was a bit inconclusive given the bad view I had but it would have had to be a very slim transformer if there was one on there.

You need to decide, even if not strictly to the rule box, you may feel minimum risk anyway as no where near bath or shower, and will not be using a shaver while socking wet. There is no rule for hand wash basins, but I realised in my bathroom a shaver would be safe, as held in my hand in use, but a tooth brush on charge would not be safe, as all too easy to knock whole lot into the sink.

The whole idea of the isolation transformer and the IT supply is touching an earthed item and the faulty appliance at the same time is unlikely to give you a shock, you need to touch both lives to get a shock, which is unlikely, there is no neutral at a shaver socket, just two lives.

The problem with the IT system is once it supplies more than one item, you can have multi-faults, so only safe with one item, specially as there is no RCD protection with a shaver socket, but whole output limited to 300 mA.

Personally I would return it as unfit for purpose, but I have some items I know don't comply, I have a few of these 1657794342923.pngwhich do not comply, but in my bedroom plugged into an extension lead, so fused by the extension lead fuse, they are handy to use switch mode power supplies with 100 - 250 volt input and USA plug formation. I have no children in the house, and visitors will not have access to my bedroom, in fact to allow them access could be deemed illegal as I have transmitting devices which require a licence to use.

So although if found at work I would smash with a hammer and put in bin, at home I feel safe in my hands. But they came with equipment and the suppliers were technically breaking UK law by including them with the equipment. But suites my needs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back