Shaver socket - faulty?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have just moved home, and there is a shaver socket in the bathroom. My wife has hair straightener's which came with a standard 3 pin plug which is transparent and you can flick it open and use the 2 pin shaver type plug which clips inside. However when plugged in the shaver socket the 'power on ' led is considerably dimmer than when plugged into the 3 pin socket. Why is this?

Ta, Daws

Sponsored Links
The clue is in the title really.

It is a SHAVER socket, not a hair straightners socket.

It is not working as you are overloading it with a completely unsuitable appliance.

The plug you have remove is there to convert the appliance from a standard european plug to the UK type.

It is not so you can remove it and use the hair straightners in your SHAVER socket.

Sponsored Links
Adaptor plugs like this
SCHUKO.jpg
can use up to 13 amp the same applies to 2 pin version
Europe_to_UK_Adapter_Plug_Eu_to_BS_Plug_ECP_.summ.jpg
but shaver outlets like this
R490374-01.jpg
are rated at around 20VA which is less than 0.1 amp and will only power shavers and maybe a tooth brush.

Spoil sports!!! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I wanted to go down the dawn breaking route

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Now you've ruined it, you'll only get Plumbers Weekly through your door now!!!

Ok, So 'SHAVERS ONLY' means 'SHAVERS' only. So can you buy 'TOOTHBRUSH' only sockets because I also have a toothbrush I would like to plug in there too (among other places)! ;)

I am not an electrician, but is it normal for the socket to get warm when a toothbrush charger is permanantly plugged in/
Daws

Ok, So 'SHAVERS ONLY' means 'SHAVERS' only. So can you buy 'TOOTHBRUSH' only sockets because I also have a toothbrush I would like to plug in there too (among other places)! ;)

I am not an electrician, but is it normal for the socket to get warm when a toothbrush charger is permanantly plugged in/
Daws

Yes, there is a transformer in there that is probably permanently connected to the mains. Thats why it gets warm - perfectly normal.
And I agree, it does say shavers only and they are also used for toothbrush charging.
There's no way to expect the novice to know that the socket is rated at only 20VA (watts) and hair straighteners are rated probably at 50 times that! The rating is not marked on the socket.

Anyways, there's the reasons why your straignteners dont work in a shaver socket and also why it gets warm.

Adaptor plugs like this
SCHUKO.jpg
can use up to 13 amp the same applies to 2 pin version
Europe_to_UK_Adapter_Plug_Eu_to_BS_Plug_ECP_.summ.jpg
but shaver outlets like this
R490374-01.jpg
are rated at around 20VA which is less than 0.1 amp and will only power shavers and maybe a tooth brush.
I may be mistaken but I feel the european plug shown is rated at 2.5A and the adapter rated at 3A.

I had to go back to start, I had forgotten what I had said in 2009, but that adaptor would have with a 13 amp fuse allow one to draw 13 amp even if plug rated 2.5 amp not sure where you can get a 2.5 amp fuse?

But a shaver socket will only supply less than an amp.

But really there should be a cut off point where posts back an edition of regulations are deleted as now likely wrong.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back