Adding a Shaver Point

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am updating a bathroom and am removing the existing dual voltage shaver socket. It appears to be currently simply spurred off the lighting circuit, which is what I would expect. In the new set up I wish to put the shaver point in a steel bathroom cabinet using both for shavers and charging tooth brushes. I only require a 240v supply and therefore would assume I could simply install a european style 2 pin round socket in the cabinet, ensuring that I earth the cabinet. However, it does not seem easy to buy a simple 2 pin round socket for this purpose... all the available shave sockets appear to be dual voltage and as a result are large due to the transformer for the step down to the lower voltage. Am I misunderstanding something is there something wrong with simply having a 2 pin round socket spurred off the lighting ring to serve tooth brushes and shavers?

Sponsored Links
The transformer is there to isolate the supply. This way, anyone touching one of the outputs of the transformer would not receive an electric shock, as the supply from the transformer is not referenced to earth.
The only way to get a shock would be to simultaneously be in contact with both of the wires from the transformer.

The dual voltage part is usually included, as the cost of an extra tap on the transformer is minimal.

If you want a socket connected directly to the supply, it will have to be at least 3 meters away from the bath or shower. This will not be possible in the majority of bathrooms.

If you don't want a transformer in the cabinet, the only other option is to have the transformer located remotely. This will cost significantly more.

Thanks for quick response and understand. In which case I may as well put in a dual voltage shaver socket.

Sponsored Links
Yes, that is what needs to happen.

Remember that there are new requirements for bathrooms so you'll need to include an RCD in the feed to the shaver socket.

Also (and there's more), as you are planning to do electrical work in a bathroom so you will need to notify the local authority building control BEFORE starting any work (and pay their fee).
or
Use a registered electrician.

Please see this for more detail:
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:part_p:diy_electrical_work_and_the_law

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back