Shaver socket

he is clearly not stupid enough to regard my comment as a serious suggestion
Well - we obviously differ there.

I have looked at his posts, and the things he has said, and I have come to a different conclusion.

Sponsored Links
I have looked at his posts, and the things he has said, and I have come to a different conclusion.
Conclude what you will.
John is correct, I obviously have more common sense than you.
I can actually see what is wrong, you are a sheep following orders.
I have looked again at the zones.
They measure floor to ceiling (obviously ridiculous) yet when it comes to the sink they specifiy a radius around the taps.
Now that actually makes sense.
If you have no shower above a bath why does zone 1 stretch to to 2250mm??
Think for yourself and ask questions, you will learn more that way.

Last edited:
I have looked again at the zones. They measure floor to ceiling (obviously ridiculous) yet when it comes to the sink they specifiy a radius around the taps. Now that actually makes sense.
It might 'make sense' but, unfortunately, you must be looking at a very old description of bathroom zones, because a basin has not created any zone (does that make sense?:) ) for a a long time!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I would point out that the shaded area is not a radius - so, doubly wrong.
I presume that the "radius" is intended to refer to the radius of the curved corners at the top of the zone around the basin which they have invented (or resurrected from some grave).

Kind Regards, John

I presume that the "radius" is intended to refer to the radius of the curved corners at the top of the zone around the basin which they have invented (or resurrected from some grave).
Well, as it's wrong, it's not worth discussing.

Here's another which makes up additional areas:

upload_2017-9-21_20-32-57.png

I presume that the "radius" is intended to refer to the radius of the curved corners at the top of the zone around the basin
Correct, any part of a circle is the radius.
Well, another thing learnt. No zone around basin taps but a huge zone around bath taps?
Perhaps the 'inventors' of these regs expect amorous shenanigans when bathing!!

Well, another thing learnt. No zone around basin taps but a huge zone around bath taps? Perhaps the 'inventors' of these regs expect amorous shenanigans when bathing!!
To be fair, there is not a zone around bath taps, per se - rather, a zone around the bath or shower tray. One imagines the reason for them is that they are two places where naked people commonly stand in, or are submerged in, water.

If it was felt necessary for special consideration to be given to areas around bathroom basin taps, the same would presumably apply to taps in kitchens, utility rooms, taps in basins of 'toilet rooms', not to mention bidets etc. etc.

To be honest, the bathroom zones have increasingly less relevance. A high, and increasing, proportion of domestic bathrooms satisfy the requirements for omission of supplementary bonding, so about the only other current relevance is that new work within the zones is notifiable.

Kind Regards, John

To be honest, the bathroom zones have increasingly less relevance.
Hear hear
the only other current relevance is that new work within the zones is notifiable.
So work outside the zones is non notifiable? As in putting my shaver socket nowhere near the bath.
BTW do they do a clapper switch in the form of what would be a pull switch?

So work outside the zones is non notifiable? As in putting my shaver socket nowhere near the bath.
Yep, even ceiling lighting, provided that the ceiling is more than 2.25m 'above finished floor level'. New showers are the main thing which cannot avoid being notifiable, since they are (more-or-less) inevitably in Zone 1 (and often involve installation of a new circuit)
BTW do they do a clapper switch in the form of what would be a pull switch?
Sound-activated switches obviously exist. What do you mean by "in the form of what would be a pull switch".

Talking of pull switches, there is a common misconception that they are 'required' in a bathroom. Provided they are not 'within zones', there is no reason why one can't use a standard switch (provided it is said to be 'suitable' for use in a steamy bathroom environment). I believe that the UK is fairly unique in having pull switches in a lot of bathrooms!

Kind Regards, John

What do you mean by "in the form of what would be a pull switch".
As in, in place of but still resembling a pull switch. I've only seen plug in clappers. I'm assuming they too would need a permanent live to the actual clapper?
Talking of pull switches, there is a common misconception that they are 'required' in a bathroom.
And don't I know it. My upstairs bathroom one made a row as the plaster board was acting like a sound board. I searched for a 'silent' switch but to no avail. I was told I could have a switch outside the bathroom, then you get the 'jokers' leaving you in the dark whilst dumping!!
Since installing a uPVC ceiling it is quiet enough so all is ok. Did the switch reg change or has it always been the same?
I have also included a picture of my fuse board. I'm trying to get my fiver back. Is that not RCD protected? (last gasp hope):)

Attachments

• upload_2017-9-22_15-55-0.jpeg
    upload_2017-9-22_15-55-0.jpeg
    182.5 KB · Views: 85

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back