Shaver socket

Does it have to come from the ceiling pull cord or is there another solution?
The pull cord is rather crowded.
It has the main feed and the loads are; extractor fan plus permanent live for timer, feed to light switch for two outside lights plus bathroom lights so 11 wires snuggled together.

Ta.

But is there a neutral there? If not you cannot connect there.

Sponsored Links
"As the location is a bathroom", does not the whole circuit have to be protected, regardless of whether or not the cable is buried?
upload_2017-9-18_13-9-10.png

No, it's to protect people.
Don't get it EF. Can you enlighten me? Don't forget I'm a layman learning.
If I touched the brown sleeve of a live (I'm not going to experiment) would I get a shock?
If so, bllody hell, if not then how does leaving the outer casing on protect people?
That's always been the same. Not changed.
Not many bathrooms are big enough to do it.
Oh right, I read this and assumed that before 2008 sockets were banned full stop.
The 17th Edition, published in 2008, introduced a number of amendments. These included changes to the zonal system, RCD protection on all bathroom circuits, and 230 V socket outlets permitted 3 m horizontally from the boundary of zone 1

That's the way the system works, always wear your ppe and go safely home every night, rather than being in A&E.
Sorry m, that makes zero sense. Unless you really believe that a hard hat is going to protect me when I am above all works being carried out below? Unless a 'rule' makes sense then those of us with 'common' sense will question said 'rule'. It's a bit like a new recruit being told to polish his boots by a sergeant even though he's just cleaned them. Some will do as bid, others will tell him to f%@k off.
On the same site I was told there was no eating or drinking except in the designated areas which happened to be at ground level. It was summer and I was four floors up. So, I'm using gas guns and hot bitumen. If I need a drink I have to climb down four lifts of scaffold, have a drink then climb back up. By the time I'm back on the roof I'm thirsty........... you get the picture. Common sense is safer than listening to the clowns that have never lifted a hammer.
It is, provided that the socket you are intending to install contains an isolation transformer.
Ya it does, Screwfix.
Given the nature of your reply, I doubt it is.
I was being ironic, and breath!!!!

because I know you've made a mistake and I don't want to name a figure that would be difficult for you to afford.
And the reason for asking questions on such forums is to glean knowledge If I've made a mistake, educate me instead of talking riddles :)
I'm looking at my board and I see a 6A fuse. It has a switch that if I sneeze too hard flicks off,is this not RCD? Did I mean MCB?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
If I touched the brown sleeve of a live (I'm not going to experiment) would I get a shock?
I'm just telling you the rules. Single, insulated, unsheathed conductors should be in an enclosure. [/QUOTE]

Just like if you asked me how to kill your wife. I would point out that it's not allowed.

Just like if you asked me how to kill your wife. I would point out that it's not allowed
Ok, thanks. I just like to know reasons is all. I know killing my wife is not allowed, I don't know why an insulated wire that is in a pull switch that cannot be touched and should be isolated before that pull switch is opened is any safer with a few mm of a second sheathing.
The 'rule' makers don't seem to know why they make the rules. It's a bit like a kid saying "why" and the parent saying "because I said so".
They learn diddly squit.
It would make more sense for them to print the regulation and explain what their reasons are.
I suspect they don't as they would struggle to make sense of some of them. But hey.

I don't know why an insulated wire that is in a pull switch that cannot be touched and should be isolated before that pull switch is opened is any safer with a few mm of a second sheathing. ... The 'rule' makers don't seem to know why they make the rules.
One can debate whether it is a sensible or necessary requirement, but it seems fairly obvious that this rule was introduced as a 'belt and braces' measure to cover situations in which the 'covering' of a conductor suffered mechanical damage. It's by no means unknown to see a cable whose outer sheath has been damaged to the extent that the insulation of one or more of the cores is visible. If there had been only one protective layer, when that got similarly damaged one would be looking at (and potentially able to touch) a bare live conductor.

Kind Regards, John

I get there could be damage as there is 'only' one layer of protection but the outer casing has to be stripped at some point in order to spread the wires.
And how the devil does any one know if the outer casing is still in the pull switch housing once the cover has been pushed up and screwed on, unless they have x-ray vision :)
So, back to my crowded pull switch.
How far into the pull switch must the outer casing be intact, bearing in mind the limited space?
Ta.

I get there could be damage as there is 'only' one layer of protection but the outer casing has to be stripped at some point in order to spread the wires.
Sure, but that's only at the end of the cable. Damage could occur anywhere along the length of the cable.
And how the devil does any one know if the outer casing is still in the pull switch housing once the cover has been pushed up and screwed on, unless they have x-ray vision :)
There is not a requirement to have the second covering (outer 'sheath') present within an insulated 'enclosure', since that enclosure then provides the second line of defence.

Kind Regards, John

There is not a requirement to have the second covering (outer 'sheath') present within an insulated 'enclosure', since that enclosure then provides the second line of defence.
WHAT??? That's what I asked in post number one.
If I don't have to have the grey cable inside the pull cord then I may be ok.
Post two states 'no' the cables can't be devoid of the outer gery casing!! Blurb.

WHAT??? That's what I asked in post number one. If I don't have to have the grey cable inside the pull cord then I may be ok. Post two states 'no' the cables can't be devoid of the outer gery casing!! Blurb.
There is some confusion/misunderstanding here. You asked:
If this is the only place to take it from can the wires entering the pullcord be devoid of the grey outer case? That way I may be able to squeeze them in.
The 'outer case' (sheath) must 'enter' (very slightly) the enclosure (pullcord), such that there are no places outside of the pullswitch where there is no sheath, but the sheath can be removed immediately after the cable enters the switch enclosure. That is, indeed, the standard/normal (and 'proper') way to deal with cables in any electrical accessory.

What I said in my last post is that the sheath is not required within the enclosure (pullswitch), which is true.

Kind Regards, John

It would not be desirable to have single insulated cables strewn across a loft, for example, so they must be sheathed or in conduit.
Just a safety requirement deemed sensible and so, necessary.

It is also to do with items which contain a cable restraint which should be on the sheath.
Admittedly a pull switch does not have cable restraints; perhaps that is the problem.

The alternative would be a maximum allowable distance from accessory to sheath which would be even more silly.

Ahaaaaaaa!! :idea:
Now I understand the 'rule'.
Still don't know how any one can be sure they haven't pushed the outer sheath beyond the entry point when screwing the cover on but there you go.
If it is that important then like EF writes perhaps there needs to be some form of cable restraint so it can't be pushed out of position.
Another 'rule' I find puzzling, the 2250mm floor to celing measurement for zone 2.
Surely the measurement should be from the base you would be standing/lying on when showering/bathing?
You could fit an ip44 light 2250mm from the floor and in theory put your shower tray on a platform of 1000mm (obviously exagerating) and so be 1250mm from the light.
Is there another part to this rule I haven't understood?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back