Shaver socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm thinking of putting a shaver socket in a bathroom cabinet.
For some reason manufacturers charge about £80 to put a socket in a cabinet.
So £15 for a socket in an exisitng cabinet seems a no brainer, or is it?
Anyhoo, I read that it can be wired via the lighting circuit.
Downstairs lighting circuit is on a 6A RCB.
Does it have to come from the ceiling pull cord or is there another solution?
The pull cord is rather crowded.
It has the main feed and the loads are; extractor fan plus permanent live for timer, feed to light switch for two outside lights plus bathroom lights so 11 wires snuggled together.
If this is the only place to take it from can the wires entering the pullcord be devoid of the grey outer case?
That way I may be able to squeeze them in.
Ta.

Sponsored Links
I'm thinking of putting a shaver socket in a bathroom cabinet.
For some reason manufacturers charge about £80 to put a socket in a cabinet.
I doubt manufacturers ever do such work.

It would be a no-brainer (someone without a brain) who would charge as little as that.

Anyhoo, I read that it can be wired via the lighting circuit.
Downstairs lighting circuit is on a 6A RCB.
It can. That would be fine.

Does it have to come from the ceiling pull cord or is there another solution?
It doesn't matter where the supply comes from.
Anywhere with the necessary conductors.

The pull cord is rather crowded.
It has the main feed and the loads are; extractor fan plus permanent live for timer, feed to light switch for two outside lights plus bathroom lights so 11 wires snuggled together.
OK.
A Junction box above the switch ???

If this is the only place to take it from can the wires entering the pullcord be devoid of the grey outer case?
No.

You can take the feed from anywhere on the circuit providing you have a perm live, neutral and earth present.
As the location is a bathroom, the cable if buried and the shaver point will require RCD protection. And if work is carried out in a bathroom zone, you will need to apply to building controls to notify the work.

Thanks for the response both.
EF, I meant a cabinet seems to cost an extra £80 when it has a socket installed by the manufacturers and as a socket and back box cost about £15 then that is how much it would cost to DIY.
I have no where else to take it from I don't think as all other junctions are dead until the pull cord is activated.
As a matter of interest, at what point do the regs say you can strip the grey outer casing? Just curious.

Prentice, it is on a 6A RCD
As for notifying building controls, of course I will ;)

Sponsored Links
EF, I meant a cabinet seems to cost an extra £80 when it has a socket installed by the manufacturers and as a socket and back box cost about £15 then that is how much it would cost to DIY.
Ok. I am puzzled how or why a cabinet comes with a socket in it.

I have no where else to take it from I don't think as all other junctions are dead until the pull cord is activated.
Is the loft above? Can you get to the switch.
These are nice if it remains accessible.
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/ASJ501.html

As a matter of interest, at what point do the regs say you can strip the grey outer casing? Just curious.
Inside an enclosure - switch or JB.

EF, there are lots of bathroom cabinets with shaver sockets installed.
https://www.plumbworld.co.uk/bathroom-cabinets-with-shaver-sockets-and-lights-19487-0000
No access once the ceiling is back up, downstairs bathroom with flat roof above.
Is that regulation to protect the inner sheathing from the plastic pull switch?
Some of the regs seem a tad crazy.When I had my bathroom fitted you couldn't have sockets in a bathroom, now you can if they are 3m from the bath.
Are people suddenly less 'electrocutable'? I agree with the common sense rules but some just seem made up to give the rule makers a job.
Cynical? Me? Never :)
I'm a roofer and was asked to leave a site for not wearing my hard hat whilst working on the flat roof!! Go figure.

Prentice, that's almost libelous! :)

John, £5? You don't sound too confident. What's your reason for doubting it?

EF, there are lots of bathroom cabinets with shaver sockets installed.
Ok. I must have missed them.

No access once the ceiling is back up, downstairs bathroom with flat roof above.
Ok.

Is that regulation to protect the inner sheathing from the plastic pull switch?
No, it's to protect people.

Some of the regs seem a tad crazy.When I had my bathroom fitted you couldn't have sockets in a bathroom, now you can if they are 3m from the bath.Are people suddenly less 'electrocutable'? I agree with the common sense rules but some just seem made up to give the rule makers a job.
Cynical? Me? Never :)
That's always been the same. Not changed.
Not many bathrooms are big enough to do it.

I'm a roofer and was asked to leave a site for not wearing my hard hat whilst working on the flat roof!! Go figure.
(y) Like television reporters out in the open.

Are people suddenly less 'electrocutable'? I agree with the common sense rules but some just seem made up to give the rule makers a job.

That's right, it's because they want to sell more books (regs) so they dream up new regs.

A lesson for you and one which I have given many times. We all know that if you fall off a roof a hard hat will not protect you. But here's the way it works, you're working for me and fall off the roof and end up a paraplegic. The court decides it was 100% my fault that you fell and that the normal award would be £10 million damages. However, because you refused to wear a hard hat this shows you have no regard for your own safety, therefore your award will be reduced by 50%. And there would be further deductions for lack of hiviz etc. That's the way the system works, always wear your ppe and go safely home every night, rather than being in A&E.

It is, provided that the socket you are intending to install contains an isolation transformer.

The much smaller sockets available with no transformer are not suitable.

John, £5? You don't sound too confident. What's your reason for doubting it?

because I know you've made a mistake and I don't want to name a figure that would be difficult for you to afford.

because I know you've made a mistake and I don't want to name a figure that would be difficult for you to afford.
Indeed - but I suspect that most of us have more than a slight suspicion about what he should actually have typed!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back