Bathroom RCD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When my electricians/plumber installed the wiring to support the wirlpool bath, they replaced the original RCD that I had installed to protect the previous whirlpool bath, with a FCU.

At the time I assumed this was because my consumer unit has an RCD (when I installed the original bath, we had the old wire fuse set-up, hence I added an RCD).

I have a few RCD units kicking about. The load for the FCU is around 9-10A (13A fuse) due to it supporting a 3bar pump, wirlpool pump and an air blower unit.

Is there any benefit in replacing the FCU with an RCD given that I have some spare?

I always found the old switchable RCD was handy to get the kids out of the shower (effectively turns the water off to a dribble).

Sponsored Links
If the supply to the FCU is already RCD protected then another RCD is not necessary.
Especially as the RCDs that you have "kicking about" may not be tested or operating correctly.
Doesn't the FCU that you have have a switch? If not, maybe changing it for a switched FCU would stop that drip!

Its just a fused unit no switch. My RCDs are new and unused, but they have a switch (test/reset) button. I guess I'll just have to shout at the kids to get them out :D

New, unused and untested. Its up to you.

But even if it is faulty and it doesnt trip, the one in the consumer should.....

The installation instructions for most plumbing devices (like pumps, whirlpools etc) specify a TWO POLE isolation switch. I would get yourself a switched FCU in there to save yourself grief later.
The issue with the fused FCU that you have is that removing the fuse only breaks the supply leg, the neutral will still be connected. This means that an earth fault will still trip the main RCD.

Sponsored Links
thats a good point. on the double pole switch. cheap skates :rolleyes:

When my electricians/plumber installed the wiring to support the wirlpool bath, they replaced the original RCD that I had installed to protect the previous whirlpool bath, with a FCU.
At the time I assumed this was because my consumer unit has an RCD (when I installed the original bath, we had the old wire fuse set-up, hence I added an RCD).
Is it spurred from a socket circuit?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back