Spur off dishwasher socket

It says ...
It does.
It is not a hard and fixed rule, ...
It's not a "rule" at all - merely guidance/recommendation in an 'informative' appendix of BS7671.
and the load from an oven under 3 kW will be a lot less than a washer/drier or drier on the drying cycle. Due to the time it draws the high current for.
Exactly.
The Oven, Dish Washer, Washing machine (without drier) are all around the same load and time, they may use 3 kW to get up to temperature, but not for long, ...
That's certainly true of a DW and WM, since they only heat small volumes of water and that doesn't take very long at all. I'm less sure about an oven, although it obviously will not draw current anything like 'continuously'.
.... It does seem strange as the electric space heating was the whole reason why the ring final came into existence ...
I'm not sure what makes you think that. Indeed, 'comprehensive space heating' (per the guidance in Appendix of BS7671 you are quoting) probably did not exist in those days - one 'electric fire' probably being all that most homes had!

As with so many things, it really comes down to the need to apply common sense!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure what makes you think that.
I think we are a similar age, so would have gone to collage at least first time around, around the same time, and we were told how the ring final was developed at the second world war to assist with the rapid rebuilding program, and shortage of materials like copper, and how the idea was to have an all electric house, with a 60 amp supply of that time, it was really a pipe dream, it would be like today saying we can all have electric cars and heat pumps, some times governments do need to come back to earth.

The idea we could heat or homes with these 1683360191370.png with no thermostatic control, single glazed windows, and no cavity wall insulation was never going to happen, and with the few home with all electric heating they had an independent supply for the storage radiators.

I think we are a similar age, ....
Yes, I believe we are.
.... so would have gone to collage at least first time around, around the same time, and we were told how the ring final was developed at the second world war ...
Well, I might have been, but none of my 'higher education' had anything to do with anything 'electrical'.
... to assist with the rapid rebuilding program, and shortage of materials like copper, ...
Yes, I think that most of us believe that to have been the case, but ....
and how the idea was to have an all electric house, ...
That's the bit I'm far less sure about. I've known of many houses built i that era, and I can't recall (m)any that I could describe as 'all electric', even today. That's at least partially due to what you go on to say, namely ...
with a 60 amp supply of that time, it was really a pipe dream, it would be like today saying we can all have electric cars and heat pumps, some times governments do need to come back to earth.

The idea we could heat or homes with these with no thermostatic control, single glazed windows, and no cavity wall insulation was never going to happen, and with the few home with all electric heating they had an independent supply for the storage radiators.
Exactly.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back