FCU spur off spur?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Pretty sure the answer is no, but I'll check..

Got a dishwasher to fit, didn't want the cable running up through worktop to socket, so I want to hard wire into a 13a FCU. Only issue is availability of sockets.

Above is two sockets on the ring, left is ring socket, right is a spur off that. Is there any way of running my FCU for the dishwasher off one of these? I know it's one sour only off a ring socket, but does that change with an FCU?

Cheers,

20200902_133147.jpg

Sponsored Links
You could make the socket spur part of the ring by adding a cable between the sockets and joints in the rear of the existing ring socket.

You could then spur off the usb socket

Like so?

20200902_141141.jpg

Not sure existing ring cable would reach the usb socket, but I'll have a look.

Is this allowed as a DIY job, or does it need signing off?

The existing cables would still run into the back box. Just disconnect one, and join to a new piece of cable going to the usb socket.

Sponsored Links
I see, thanks, will do that. If that's the case I'll probably put a single socket down there rather than an FCU, easier to swap over if I need a new appliance.

... Above is two sockets on the ring, left is ring socket, right is a spur off that. Is there any way of running my FCU for the dishwasher off one of these? I know it's one sour only off a ring socket, but does that change with an FCU?
Despite what many people seem to think, there is nothing which 'does not allow' two spurs to be taken from one socket which is part of a ring (i.e. not itself a spur) - the only issue being whether the terminals of the socket are large enough to accommodate the four conductors that are required (most seem to be able to accommodate that).

Kind Regards, John

Despite what many people seem to think, there is nothing which 'does not allow' two spurs to be taken from one socket which is part of a ring (i.e. not itself a spur) - the only issue being whether the terminals of the socket are large enough to accommodate the four conductors that are required (most seem to be able to accommodate that).

Kind Regards, John

It's an mk socket and probably would've taken 4 cables, but all done now. Made the usb socket a part of the ring and run a sour off that to a new socket below the counter top.

Thanks for the help all.

It's an mk socket and probably would've taken 4 cables, but all done now. Made the usb socket a part of the ring and run a sour off that to a new socket below the counter top.
Fair enough. For what it's worth, my experience is that it's quite easy getting four 2.5mm² conductors into the terminals of an MK socket.

Whatever, I'm glad that you've got it sorted.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back