Spur off isolating switch?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, can I spur to a cooker extractor hood from the live side of a fused isolation switch used for a 3kw undersink heater? An additional isolation switch would be added to isolate the cooker hood. The cable used is 4mm and only these two items would be on this circuit from the consumer unit. The work will be signed off by a qualified electrician.
Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Why not ask the qualified electrician who is going to "sign off the work "( whatever that means) ?

Hi, can I spur to a cooker extractor hood from the live side of a fused isolation switch used for a 3kw undersink heater? An additional isolation switch would be added to isolate the cooker hood. The cable used is 4mm and only these two items would be on this circuit from the consumer unit. The work will be signed off by a qualified electrician.
Thanks for your help.
Yes of course it'll be signed off etc etc...

As long as there isn't a bath in the room where you're installing the device and you don't live in Wales then the work is not notifiable. You still have to do it properly though (so safe zones for buried cables, verify insulation and loop impedance, verify correct operation of RCD among other things).
IF the circuit powering the water heater is a radial and is protected by an RCD or RCBO then yes you can extend that circuit to another FCU, appropriately fused for your cooker hood (3A max).

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your information. Yes, the circuit is a radial protected by RCD. Once I have installed the cables and sockets a qualified electrician will be inspecting and testing the work so things like insulation and loop impedence should be checked. Cheers.

What are you regarding as 'iffy'. The OP only seems to be talking about "a qualified electrician [who] will be inspecting and testing the work so things like insulation and loop impedence should be checked" which seems perfectly reasonable if the OP wants that reassurance.

I don't think there's been any suggestion that the electrician would be producing an EIC which indicated that he/she had undertaken work which they had not, for this work which would not be notifiable (unless in Wales).

Kind Regards, John

No mention of the rcd being changed which would require a cert....IFFY

No mention of the rcd being changed which would require a cert....IFFY
It might do - but what makes you think that the existing RCD needs to be changed?

... and what 'cert' are you talking about? As you will know, any electrical work should, strictly speaking, result in an EIC or minor works cert being issued.

Kind Regards, John

What type RCD?......And if new one is fitted to meet regs it will require a minor works cert.....

What type RCD?......And if new one is fitted to meet regs it will require a minor works cert.....
Well, I think it very debatable as to whether adding a spur to a circuit to feed an extra hood would invoke a requirement to bring the RCD up to the requirement of current regs. In fact, I'm not even sure that the current regs would require a Type A RCD for a circuit supplying only an 'undersink heater' and a cooker hood, given that the reg says "Type AC RCDs shall only be used to serve fixed equipment, where it is known that the load contains no DC components".

In any event, whether or not the RCD is changed is surely irrelevant - as I said, even if the RCD is not changed then a minor works cert should still be issued.

Kind Regards, John

If it's the electrician I'm thinking of, he goes on holiday a lot and can't be contacted by phone or email, so he is never around to answer any questions.

I've never understood how he manages to make a living.

If it's the electrician I'm thinking of, he goes on holiday a lot and can't be contacted by phone or email, so he is never around to answer any questions.
Maybe, but if that were the case, I'm not sure why the OP would have bothered to say anything about him at all (unless, perhaps, someone here had 'challenged' him)!

Kind Regards, John

Well, I think it very debatable as to whether adding a spur to a circuit to feed an extra hood would invoke a requirement to bring the RCD up to the requirement of current regs. In fact, I'm not even sure that the current regs would require a Type A RCD for a circuit supplying only an 'undersink heater' and a cooker hood, given that the reg says "Type AC RCDs shall only be used to serve fixed equipment, where it is known that the load contains no DC components".

In any event, whether or not the RCD is changed is surely irrelevant - as I said, even if the RCD is not changed then a minor works cert should still be issued.

Kind Regards, John
Exactly......so the so called Electrician will have to put his name to somebody else's work

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back