New Install - Cooker Hood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wish to have a new cooker hood installed that will come with a plug, so need a single socket installed up high.

Initial idea was to use a vacant single socket above the worktop, change this to an FCU and spur a socket above or in the wall unit adjacent to where the cooker hood needs to go.

But i've just read a thread where they talk of spurring a socket off an existing extractor fan isolator, and wanted to check that this was possible - run 1.5mm2 twin and earth from the extractor fan isolator switch to a single gang unswitched socket and plug the cooker hood in to that?

The extractor fan isolator is on the other side of the room, but I would run trunking up high where wall meets ceiling - there is trunking here already for the fan. The extractor fan is on all the time - it has a trickle mode, and boosts when needed, but is insufficient when cooking.

It may seem a less pretty option, but i have tiling between worktop and wall unit and would prefer not to disturb these running a spur up from the single socket.

Thus wondered if the 2nd option is viable and correct to do?

Thank you

Attachments

• 20190713_153917.jpg
    20190713_153917.jpg
    230.2 KB · Views: 274
  • 20190713_153934.jpg
    20190713_153934.jpg
    317.1 KB · Views: 296
Sponsored Links
why don't you run it off the kitchen lighting circuit?

A few miguided people will tell you it isn't allowed.

But it is.

Obviously the total circuit load must be less than 6A, which it doubtless is.

I wish to have a new cooker hood installed that will come with a plug, so need a single socket installed up high.
Or a pair of side cutters.

It's a fan, possibly with a light. You can connect it to any circuit.

Initial idea was to use a vacant single socket above the worktop, change this to an FCU and spur a socket above or in the wall unit adjacent to where the cooker hood needs to go.

You don't need an FCU. The hood plug has a fuse. Just spur off the socket to another.

Sponsored Links
why don't you run it off the kitchen lighting circuit?

A few miguided people will tell you it isn't allowed.

But it is.

Obviously the total circuit load must be less than 6A, which it doubtless is.

I don't want to lift the boards above, but thanks for the idea - i think running off the existing extractor fan isolator is probably best.

Or a pair of side cutters.

It's a fan, possibly with a light. You can connect it to any circuit.

Cheers, think i'll run off the existing fan isolator - already have some trunking up there so a bit more won't hurt. If i didn't have fitted carpet above i would lift the bpard and get rid of trunking all together, but too much faff and missus don't mind it - that's the import thing.

You don't need an FCU. The hood plug has a fuse. Just spur off the socket to another.

Cheers, spuring from a socket would disturb the tiling which i want to avoid. Once i get the hood i'll look and see if i can just hardwire it direct to the existing extractor fan isolator and do without a plug all together - thinking cut the plug off and connect using one of these https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/ASJ501.html

Depends if the socket was already a spur.

Socket isn't a spur, but decided to save the tiling and go the other route, thanks

Just opened up the isolator switch, and it's a transformer not an isolator - it's connected to a 3A FCU switch just above the worktop.

So thinking i just run 1.0mm2 cable from the N&L connectors to the new cooker hood, but what about an earth?

Attachments

• 20190714_075345.jpg
    20190714_075345.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 231
Last edited:
It's a DC power supply, not a transformer. Anyway you will need to replace the 2 core feed cable to the power supply with 3 core. Connect the earth wire to a singe bit of choc block where you will connect the earth to the extractor.

It's a DC power supply, not a transformer. Anyway you will need to replace the 2 core feed cable to the power supply with 3 core. Connect the earth wire to a singe bit of choc block where you will connect the earth to the extractor.

That's fantastic, cheers

Although that 2 core feeds the extractor fan - rather than replace, can i not just add a 3 core cable to run along side the existing cable for the cooker hood - putting 2 cables in each terminal?

Got the 5A choc for the earth, I take it 3 core flex is acceptable rather than twin and earth - 2 x 1.0mm 3 core will fit in the existing 16mm trunking.

Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back