Spurred sockets

See I don't understand this. I thought all electrical work had to be carried out by a competent person. Having a degree in electrical engineering, I would deem myself as complement to do a simple job like this, but it's not what I think that counts!!
You misunderstand. In the UK, anyone is allowed to undertake any domestic electrical work, provided only that (a) they are 'competent' (in the everyday sense) to do it safely and (b) if it is 'notifiable work' (which, in England, very little is any more), and they are not a registered 'self-certifying' electrician, that they notify it to LABC (and pay fee). There is no requirement for any qualifications,'registrations' or any such. With a degree in electrical engineering, you are way ahead of most non-electricians who undertake electrical work.
Therefore I thought it safer to get a registered sparky in who could make the paperwork official! All slightly confusing!! ... John - how can I complete a MWC?
Download a MWC form/template from IET website, take out your pen and .... :) It's an extremely simple form. The problem for most DIYers is that you need to record on the MWC results of some tests on the circuits involved - insulation resistance, earth fault loop impedance, RCD function and confirmation of polarity. Most non-electricians will not have the means of undertaking such tests, so would need to borrow or hire the appropriate kit. Strictly speaking, to be compliant with the regulations (BS7671), such tests should be undertaken, and an EIC or MWC issued, in relation to any electrical work undertaken by anyone.

Don't forget that, at least until you come to sell the house, the only person to whom you would give the MWC is yourself!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
See I don't understand this. I thought all electrical work had to be carried out by a competent person.
It does. This is what the law requires:

If you can comply with that you may DIY.

John - how can I complete a MWC?
Download the form: http://electrical.theiet.org/wiring-regulations/forms/2008.cfm?type=pdf

and fill it in.

Only problem, I guess, would be this part:

screenshot_372.jpg

:?:

Regarding the insulation, I had peeled back several layers of the stuff to take that photo. There are two layers of it over the entire loft - is that not enough?
It looks like there are gaps in it in areas nothing to do with the wiring. AFAIK the recommended thickness these days is 270mm, and again, (e.g. under where you are standing), it didn't look that thick.

BTW, commiserations on the execrable trussed roof.

It would have been cheaper and look better if you had done it yourself.. ;)

Sponsored Links
Nice guy, got good reviews on MyBuilder.com, came round and quoted £50 to fit the sockets and another £20 for the certificate.
That comment straight away rang alarm bells.
1) To need MyBuilder.com likely he is useless good electricians don't need that to get them jobs.
2) As explained all electrical work requires a minor works certificate or an installation certificate so why would any one quote for providing the certificate.

As already commented it's a lash-up cables should be clipped. And also it needs a FCU. Having said that in my own loft I have not clipped cables as I should.

Again thanks to BAS you can see the essential tests and you know the results should be very little different from the original certificate. However I have used meters many times and I am sure I could fudge up some readings. I have seen for Part 3 Essential Tests.
1) √
2) all 20MΩ
3) ELI 0.8Ω
4) √
5) / mA / ms
More than once which is a copy of the example in old on site guide. When I see those results alarm bells ring. The test set will cost around £500 and handy men who also do some electrics often don't have the test gear. Today for 5) I would expect 23 mA and 36 ms as a typical result if it says 30 mA and 40 ms again alarm bells would ring. Some testers will test at 15, 30, 100 etc but the result would be <30 mA and some odd figure under 40 ms. Same with insulation resistance >20M&#937; means that was the maximum the meter will read. But if there is a reading likely it will be a random high figure 23.5M&#937;, 23M&#937; and 24M&#937; for the three makes one believe a meter is actually used.

Other simple errors like EEBADS instead of ADS point to copying from book rather than knowing what they are doing.

So if and this is the big if the electrician has actually measured you could copy the results adding say 0.02 on the ELI to account for resistance of the fuse in the FCU and assuming you do a good job no one would know you cheated. But if he has cheated in the first place then you would also be caught out copying the results when next EICR is completed but having wrong readings is not reportable it does not get a code.

I still can't believe anyone charges for a Minor works certificate? I can understand some one listing LABC charges or scheme operator separately as where for example an extension is built and the LABC is already involved you have the option of completion and compliance certificate so reason to separately price but not for Minor Works or Installation certificate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back