Spurred sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I wanted a socket in the loft to run a network switch and a TV aerial booster and another in our spare bedroom for the TV. Now I've done wiring before, but it's a new house so I wanted it done properly (with minor works certificate etc) so I got a sparky in.

Nice guy, got good reviews on MyBuilder.com, came round and quoted £50 to fit the sockets and another £20 for the certificate.

The only place he could get a feed handily was from a socket in the next room. So he has spurred off the existing socket, ran 2.5mm t&e up the inside of the hollow wall, into the loft, fitted a double socket and then ran a feed from this socket down inside another hollow wall to the new socket in the bedroom.

I went up into the loft and rolled back the insulation to have a look and this is what the wiring looks like (I've added labels to the second photo to clarify):

Now to me, someone completely unqualified, it seems as this is an unfused spur off an unfused spur - no?

Now whilst I know there will only ever be milliamps needed from the loft sockets, and the most power-hungry device plugged into the bedroom socket will be the wife's hairdryer, I would have been happier had a FCU been fitted. Or am I being paranoid?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
I went up into the loft and rolled back the insulation to have a look and this is what the wiring looks like ...
What an unprofessional mess! Even though it's in a loft, I would expect better, even from a cheap electrician!
Now to me, someone completely unqualified, it seems as this is an unfused spur off an unfused spur - no?
If there isn't an FCU in the feed from the 'existing socket', then you're right - and, as you appear to know, that is strictly non-compliant with regulations.
Now whilst I know there will only ever be milliamps needed from the loft sockets, and the most power-hungry device plugged into the bedroom socket will be the wife's hairdryer, I would have been happier had a FCU been fitted. Or am I being paranoid?
Not paranoid. As you say, in common sense terms it's perfectly OK (and safe) so long as the loads in the loft remain minimal, but that doesn't alter the fact that it's non-compliant, and not something that an electrician should have done, even if he was fairly cheap!

Kind Regards, John

Bad man ! :evil:

Shoddy work he may have a cable clip allergy or just bloody lazy. Call him and ask him check out DIYnot ! to see his fan mail :LOL:

DS

I can stick some clips on the cabling, that's not what bothers me.

I might just stick a 13A FCU in before the loft socket to make it safer. Or would that in itself need a minor works cert? lol

Sponsored Links
Hi, to comply the fcu should be before both additional sockets.

Regards,

DS

Yes, all protected by 32A breaker. Why does that make a difference?

Yes, I was intending to fit the FCU before both new sockets - am I ok to do this myself though, or does fitting it to an existing cable require a minor works cert too?

Thanks

Because if it was on a 20a or 16a it could have been a radial and then been acceptable.

You can fit the FCU yourself, just do a better job than this muppet (not hard)

Looks like you should have done it all anyway (you are perfectly fine to do so)

Yes, I was intending to fit the FCU before both new sockets - am I ok to do this myself though, or does fitting it to an existing cable require a minor works cert too?
You can install the FCU in the loft ('before' the loft socket) if that is more convenient (some might possibly disagree if the feed cable were very long). Strictly speaking, any electrical work, no matter who it's done by, should have either an EIC or a minor works cert. If that concerns you, you could complete a MWC yourself.

Kind Regards, John

Another top quality job from a recommend-a-tradesman-because-I-can't-get-work-by-recommendation website :rolleyes:

It's about time these shams were shut down.

Looks like you should have done it all anyway (you are perfectly fine to do so)

See I don't understand this. I thought all electrical work had to be carried out by a competent person. Having a degree in electrical engineering, I would deem myself as complement to do a simple job like this, but it's not what I think that counts!! Therefore I thought it safer to get a registered sparky in who could make the paperwork official! All slightly confusing!!

John - how can I complete a MWC?

Regarding the insulation, I had peeled back several layers of the stuff to take that photo. There are two layers of it over the entire loft - is that not enough?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back