Spyware removal - This is getting a pain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have to remove a lot of spyware for computers and this used to be a couple of hours work max, you could find the spyware by using spybot etc and then run a removal tool for that bit trojen.

However now nothing seems to work, and on a commercial basis this is getting hard as my clients won't pay £100 for virus removal yet it can take 6-7 hours to remove, this has resulted me in formating a lot more computer which again is a pain making sure everything is backed up but at least I know its gone.

So has anybody developed a quickish way of removing spyware?

The problem seems to be Smitfraud, Virtumondue and Antivirus 2006-2008 varients.

These also disable system restore so that is not an option.

I always belive formating is cheating.

Sponsored Links
Some programs that I suggest to others and I also use them myself:

Smitfraudfix:
http://siri.geekstogo.com/SmitfraudFix.php

Malwarebytes antimalware
http://www.malwarebytes.org/products.php

VundoFix:
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Antivirus/VundoFix.shtml
Operating instructions at the link site above.

Note: It is possible that VundoFix encountered a file it could not remove.
In this case, VundoFix will run on reboot, simply follow the above instructions starting from "Click the Scan for Vundo button." when VundoFix appears at reboot.

SuperAntiSpyware:
http://www.superantispyware.com/
Run full scan in SAFE MODE.

It all depends on what is on the computer has to how long and how many scans have to be run so I cannot say they will save you a great deal of time, but try them, if you do not already use them.

dave

Used them all before apart from this superspyware software. I was reading u on it last night and it seems to be very good. I have a machine in my house atm with Smitfraud so it will be interesting to see how it copes with it.

Zone Alarm secuity suite, never had any spyware or vir£$%us££%%E^$&Y*(**!!!!*%7575es

Sponsored Links
Scoops,
The OP is working on lots of computers:
I have to remove a lot of spyware for computers
so a Security Suite would be no good as he could not install on several computers without several licences costing loads.
He needs some very good free software to be able to clear different problems on the computers.

Joydivision,
Mark what I said about running SAS Full scan in Safe Mode if there is definitely something on the PC.
I use it in normal mode with a quick scan on a weekly basis if I just want to check my PC but do not suspect anything as it is running normally.
Also discovered that it is best to run Malwarebytes in normal mode and just a quick scan if you suspect some virus on the PC.

dave [/quote]

Scoops,
The OP is working on lots of computers:
I have to remove a lot of spyware for computers
so a Security Suite would be no good as he could not install on several computers without several licences costing loads.
He needs some very good free software to be able to clear different problems on the computers.

Joydivision,
Mark what I said about running SAS Full scan in Safe Mode if there is definitely something on the PC.
I use it in normal mode with a quick scan on a weekly basis if I just want to check my PC but do not suspect anything as it is running normally.
Also discovered that it is best to run Malwarebytes in normal mode and just a quick scan if you suspect some virus on the PC.

dave
[/quote]

Then why in gods name are you using freeware on a commercial basis

In many cases you can use freeware commercialy, it depends on the exact circumstances and the end user licence.

In many cases you can use freeware commercialy, it depends on the exact circumstances and the end user licence.

Not really the point.

Sorry, I think I've got the wrong end of the stick. I'm presuming that you repair client computers and have no idea what they have installed upon them. If that is the case, please ignore what I've said.

Indeed. I am actually in the middle of writing guides for my clients to try and reduce it. Although a lot of my income does come from spyware removal I don't really like it as I am making money from other peoples missery, I am a lot happier supplying new computers or teaching.

There is no guaranteed fix, and I never offer a guarantee with this type of problem.

You say that you consider formatting is cheating. I agree to the extent that you learn nothing, but on the commercial front, time is money.

How long would it take to reload a system compared to guaranteeing the removal of ALL spyware components? There is only so much a customer will be willing to pay for the service.

Each environment is different and you have to assess them as such. Some jobs just aren't worth it, so walk away.

Yep I stupidly a year back offered such a guarentee, I said I could do it for £30, in the end after several unsucessful attempts to get rid of it I had to back everything up and format it, all for £30.

Now when people phone I never give an exact price for this work, I just say at the most it will be £60 if it all needs backing up and re-installing. Many machines I see are built by dodgy computer shops and have no Windows licence so I cannot re-install windows for this machines as it would be ilegal.

Sponsored Links
Back