NOW! That‘s What I Call Software. 1.

Chromium is a better browser than Chrome. Chrome is based on the Chromium code but has all of Google's spyware bundled.

Iron is also based on Chromium and again, comes without the spyware.

I'd recommend avoiding Chrome like the plague.

there isn't a windows version though is there?

Sponsored Links
If you are using Firefox, there are a whole host of useful addons which can add to your security...

WOT (web of trust) provides a useful indication of how safe a site might be to visit before you actually go there.

Adblock Plus blocks adverts, some of which can be images linked to spyware and virus laden websites.

A bit more complicated to use, but still very useful is NoScript - stops redirects, popups and various other nasties.

Sponsored Links
I have Microsoft Security Essentials. It does everything. I am told you shouldn''t have more than one security programme running as they interfere with each other.

Chromium is a better browser than Chrome. Chrome is based on the Chromium code but has all of Google's spyware bundled.

This is actually a very good point.
Recommending Google Chrome means that your are directing people to an application that also provides Google with data relating to your use of it, for their benefit.
Nothing wrong with that as such, as long as you know it does that, and what the data is!

Be nice if any recommended software could be marked as completely independent, or being subject to conditions not immediately obvious in the post otherwise (advertising in software is another example, and limited trial periods, etc.)

Chromium is the google OS. Chrome is a google browser.

Chromium is the google OS. Chrome is a google browser.

No, Chromium is the browser. Chrome OS and Chromium OS are the.. OS. Who would've guessed that.

I wont have a PC without my faves -
Malwarebytes its a great back up security.
Revo uninstall ( be warned it deletes registry files if you fully uninstall) . CCleaner obv lol
VLC player (built in codecs)
Firefox
Teracopy - program that copies and move files much faster than windows you cant also stop it then resume when you want it to without corruption of the files
ESET is my Anti Virus of choice but alas this might be my last year of buying it, they are adding too much crap that you dont need.
also i use a little known program - AdwCleaner its a program that searches for and deletes Adware, Toolbars, Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUP), and browser Hijackers from your computer .. which we all need these days since the "freeware" is now packed with toolbars and search providers you dint ask for or want

Sponsored Links
Back