Squeaky Joist

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a squeaky joist which is really bugging me. I have taken the floor up in the appropriate area and believe that the offending joist has a little bit of play which is rubbing against the horizontal support of the partition wall that is above it. There are no big cuts in the Joist, just two pieces of PolyPipe which have very small holes and they are not rubbing.

Having driven a 6 x 100mm screw through the horizontal support through the floorboard below it and into the joist and the noise is already 60% better. I am now wondering what the next best course of action is:

I was thinking of the following, and would welcome your advice:

1. Put some noggins in place between the horizontal support and the floor to add pressure between the two and reduce movement.

2 Add a piece of 2x4 under the supporting wall between the Joist, attach it to the Joists either side of it, and also through the wall support, through the noggin & into the Joist. That should help minimise movement and give the moving Joist some extra support both from the Joists either side and from the wall above.

3 Add a further piece of 2x4 along the Joist to give it some more lateral strength to reduce any movement. The only issue is that owing to the location, I cannot get this piece to run full length, it will only be for about 50% of the Joist, but it will be in the middle of it.

4. Apply lots of talcum powder between the wall and floor.

Is this overkill? Any other ideas?

Thanks for the help,

Jon

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back