Squealing tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a problem in that our kitchen sink mixer tap drips when off and and makes a horrible screeching noise when turned on - cold tap only.

I assumed it was the washer. When the mixer tap was fitted, I had an inline valve fitted so that in future I would be able to isolate it in situations like this. Typically, the first time I need to close the valve, it won't budge! I'm beginning to see why the plumber who fitted them said he hated taps..

Any advice gratefully received. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
1/4 turn valves and good water pressure? You may get away with replacement valves.

What type of isolator is it? Just a ball type isolator with a screwdriver slot? Get a good sized well fitting screwdriver and try that. If it still doesn't go, put the screwdriver in and then grab the flat with pliers for extra turning force. Make sure you know where the mains is and that it'll turn off easily first, just in case.

Thanks both.

Andy - I will if necessary. The old one isn't very old and I'll have to get a plumber in but that may be the best solution, given my level of incompetence with DiY. I can build a computer, but I don't trust myself to change a tap. I was hoping it might be just a washer...

Rob - I'm attaching a picture of the valve. Do you mean it might be the problem? If so, I definitely need to get a plumber in.

What is the cause of the screeching noise?

Again, thank you both.

M

Attachments

• tap.jpg
    tap.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Is it the top valve in your pic, if so it looks fine but they can jam, a plain screwdriver in there and turn it vertically should do it. If it is truly jammed then the mains needs turned off and that replaced.

The screeching is the pressure of the water pushing past the worn ceramic discs vibrating in the tap, indicating it's worn.

Thanks Rob,

No it's the bottom one. And this sounds like a job for a plumber. The valve is definitely jammed and obviously the tap is worn.

I'm surprised at both - they were new 2 or 3 years ago, but hey ho. I'll buy a new tap and get a professional in to fit it.

Thank you both for your advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back