Squeeky chip board floors- remedy

t45

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have some squeaky chipboard flooring that has been nailed down. The nails are tight – is there a tool that could be used to extract them so that I do not need to pull up board and potentially break it?

The boards are squeaky in places – is there a reason hwy boards squak and creak when walked on – the carpet and underlay have been pulled up but before new carpets is put down i would like to get rid of squeeks.

It has been suggested that sometime just bringing up the board and turning it over helps....any ideas on this?

There are also some boards that need to be replaces at when we have had new radiators fitted some of the chip was cut out and is now not level with the rest of the boards as they drop a bit – someone suggested ‘spacers’ – does anyone know what these are?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Chipboard floor should be screwed and glued, it’s not a dense enough material to secured with nails . Hammering in a nail crushes the top surface so the board will always be able to travel up and down the nail causing squeaks .

Many thanks Fox,This is really helpful and I had no idea. My boards are only nailed down. No adhesive.

Not sure whether it would be best to somehow pull up the offending boards and replace or see if I can somehow prise out the nail and lift the board and then turn them over and stick down with adhesive followed by nails...any ideas?

Is there a tool I could use to pull out/prise out the nails?

What type of adhesive would be good?

And would you recommend for future boards to use screws or nails?

Has anyone used ‘spacers’ to level bits of board?

November the 5th is nearly here. The one day when chipboard flooring fulfils a useful purpose, when it is thrown on the bonfire.

Rip it all up and put down ply, with screws.

Sponsored Links
Yeh, that Guy Fawkes fella and his pesky chipboard!

The only man who ever entered Parliament with honest intentions.

GuyFawkes.jpg

Tbh, it is very poor advice, not because chipboard is a decent floor, but because burning chipboard is a health hazard even more so than burning clean wood.

many thanks for all of the ideas.....
I think it's going to be a tricky job. I would like to avoid pulling up the entire chipboard flooring as there are only bits that squeak so if | could somehow prize these up without damaging them or the other bits then this could be good.
Does anyone know of a tool that I could use to extract nails from chipboard?
My plan would be to pull up the squeeking boards and turn them over (apparently this can work - it's worth a try) if they are not damaged in the process.....

I wouldn't pull them up, you'll ruin the boards. Find where they are squeaking and put screws in with a powered screwdriver. That'll pull them down tight to the joists and stop the squeaking. Watch out for water pipes and electric cables underneath though, but that's standard advice when laying any type of floor board.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back