squeaky & noisy floor in bedrooms ,stairs & landing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi! All

Just dared to buy our 1st family home.New to the whole DIY ..
trying to start with painting walls..

since moved in the floor boards in bedrooms,stairs & landing are quiet squeaky & noisy
lifted the carpet & underlay..no damp anywhere..but can see few gaps between floor boards..specially near door frame/entrance to rooms..
so, feel squeaky & also level difference while walking over the floor..

I stay in Reading..

Can I fix this problem..OR..pl. suggest some tradesman near..
Thanks a lot..
will need loads of help & info...

Sponsored Links
1. do you have central heating pipes running in the area?
2. have the boards been lifted in the past - for re-wiring or domestic water? Typically, they would have been screwed back down.
3. was there any mention of structural movement or susidence on the pre-sale survey.
4. stand before the door entrance and look for the head of the door frame to be level. Use a short spirit level if you want. Try this before various doorways and windows.
5. how old is the property?

Hi
Firstly good luck with your first new home. We have an old cottage with squeaky boards upstairs and on taking up the carpets have found that some boards rub against eachother, whilst others seem miles apart. lots of people have suggested putting in talc but in our case we'd need bucket loads but it may be suitable for your problem -I'm sure that you'l get more practical help on this site but, hey, talcs cheap.Good luck. ;)
Hi! All

Just dared to buy our 1st family home.New to the whole DIY ..
trying to start with painting walls..

since moved in the floor boards in bedrooms,stairs & landing are quiet squeaky & noisy
lifted the carpet & underlay..no damp anywhere..but can see few gaps between floor boards..specially near door frame/entrance to rooms..
so, feel squeaky & also level difference while walking over the floor..

I stay in Reading..

Can I fix this problem..OR..pl. suggest some tradesman near..
Thanks a lot..
will need loads of help & info...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back