Squirrels

"You obviously enjoy the challenge of killing the critters - you wouldn't have an air rifle or the desire to build inhumane traps otherwise - but I can't see how your methods are going to help - other than by self-satisfaction"

Trust me, i could do without the hassle. Re the food on table, while there is logic in that statement, thats exactly what i did two years ago. Bird table on top lawn, lots of nuts, and was bagging about 20ish a day!!!!

This is cool when i am there, but for the other 6 days, i need to think of a way for the inlaws to nab them. Looks like humane trap, wait for it to settle, then headshot it!

"what made you think it would "hold this wire" and "that one" (or similar) at the same time? in order for you to electrocute it? "

My idea(failed) would be to have two plates the same dimension of the top of the table, but split 1/2 down the middle with a wee gap, so the squirrel would bridge the gap!!

Sure the air rifle worked, but its a pain to load, you can miss the head, causing it to suffer somewhere in a bush. I thought electrocution would be easy and quicker for all involved!

Sponsored Links
What happens when it rains?

Seriously, if you have a real problem, the RSPCA can sort it out for you. They'll probably use rifles too.

My understanding of the law (I'm a vet, a DIYer in my spare time but not a lawyer)

1) The Grey Squirrels (Prohibition of Importation & Keeping) Order 1937 makes it an offence to release live-trapped grey squirrels.

Often ignored but is on the statute for those who take in and nurse back to health an injured grey squirrel.

2) The Wild Mammals (Protection) Act 1996 makes it an offence to intentionally inflict unnecessary suffering on any wild mammal.

Unless you use an approved device, I could see you having to defend yourself against this one in court, if you're caught sizzling squirrels on your bird table!

3) Grey squirrels may be shot but it is an offence to use a firearm close to a highway or near inhabited properties.

Your best bet - as others have said.

4) Approved spring traps (rapid kill) may be used. These must be checked daily (in case an injured animal needs humane dispatch) and must not be used where domestic or protected animals may gain access to them. Rat/Mice traps must not be used.

Never seen one, I'm afraid but possibly available from a saddlers / farm shop/ on-line.

Shhhhh!

SECRET+SQUIRREL+BLACK.jpg

Sponsored Links
My understanding of the law (I'm a vet, a DIYer in my spare time but not a lawyer)

The Grey Squirrels (Prohibition of Importation & Keeping) Order 1937 makes it an offence to release live-trapped grey squirrels.
Why would you?

You've got hold of an edible animal which is not owned by anybody and for which there is no close season.

What you do with it seems pretty obvious to me...

Unless you use an approved device, I could see you having to defend yourself against this one in court, if you're caught sizzling squirrels on your bird table!
Sizzle it on the BBQ instead..

If it were me I would just keep on with the shooting, is buying a more powerful/accurate rifle an option.

I have/use a Steyr LG100 which is pretty damn accurate, I use it mainly on vermin.

Any ideas???

Ps i want to use electocution because its easy, its more humane than shooting and not getting a head shot, and also you cant miss!!

Isn't there any man-made squirrel food that contains neutering compounds so they can't breed? :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back