Squirrels

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok.

2 years ago, we had lots of damage done to the garden caused by grey squirrels. Everyting from eating bulbs, to getting into the loft. Out came the air rifle, and over 3 weeks got 53 of them!!!!!!!.

That seemed to solve it for 2 years, but now they are multiplying again and starting to go for bulbs.

Now while I am good with the old air rifle (dont worry folks, garden is 2 acres, no bystanders in the way) the inlaws are not, sure the noise scares them, but thats it.

So, my idea would be to have a bird table, with two copper plates placed 10mm apart. One plate connected to a car battery -terminal by i one core cable, and the +terminal to the other plate by a one core cable, with a switch in between. Then, when squirrel on the bird table, turn switch on, and buzz, hes gone.

Questions are,
1/ Will a car battery kill a squirrel???? I dont think it would, maybe i am wrong.
2/ If not, what could I get to power such a contraption? The bird table would be 20-30meters away from the supply of power.

Any ideas???

Ps i want to use electocution because its easy, its more humane than shooting and not getting a head shot, and also you cant miss!!

Sponsored Links
A 12V car battery wont do anything, the voltage is too low for the high
resistance of a squirrels body for it to have an effect. Your best bet is the old air rifle again... or a jack russel terrior, just mention the word "squirrel" and she goes crazy! She's good at catching em!! :D

Got a strange feeling the RSPCA brigade will be here in a min... :confused:

you need to be able to put a high voltage on the critter, its not goiing to happen

how about a car battery charger? or use the mains? Inset plug into mains, attach the live to one plate, and the neutral to the other plate, with a switch somewhere in the middle?

Sponsored Links
ok, bit far there.

Or, an electric fence kit, but again thse are only 12v. Can you up them at all to get say 60v????

An electric fence unit, although it runs from a 12v battery doesn't just deliver 12v! It is somewhat higher but next to no current so isn't fatal.
Have you considered any other approaches like some sort of trap? Take up bird of prey keeping?

whatt part of

you need to be able to put a high voltage on the critter, its not goiing to happen

do you not understand?

an electric fence does not run on 60v, its a couple of thousand, it is supplied by 12v

what ever electrical idea you come up with will not work, if it could you wouldn't need to ask, and you could buy one already made.

An electric fencer uses a 12v battery but they step up the voltage to a few thousand. They limit how much current they can deliver so as not too kill. Its the current that kills, not the voltage. Not sure how much current you would need to kill a squirrel, but about 35mA 0.0035A is enough to kill a person... Think your best off with the gun mate!! :D

if you can do it, (directly across the Human heart) 8mA will kill a person, let alone 35mA

ho-hum, well i explored the avenue, and its a dead end.

What i need is one of those traps you get for rats. They walk in, zap, and its then disposed of in a container ready for the next victim, just bigger!!

I would try a trap, but then you still need to kill it, and trying to get a head shot with it going crazy wont be easy!

Apart from the fact that using electrocution is a bad idea (unreliable for a start, even with a coil), it's no good trying to entice squirrels onto a trap using food. a) they will suss out how the trap works straight away and b) you will actually encourage more squirrels to come into your garden. It's like leaving poisoned food out for rats. Ok, so you'll kill a few, but they'll just keep coming for the food.

Best thing is to get the RSPCA to cull them for you.

You obviously enjoy the challenge of killing the critters - you wouldn't have an air rifle or the desire to build inhumane traps otherwise - but I can't see how your methods are going to help - other than by self-satisfaction.

Got a strange feeling the RSPCA brigade will be here in a min...

Grey Squirrels are rodents and classed as vermin so can be exterminated.

Get a humane trap then shoot em at close range.

with it going crazy wont be easy!

what made you think it would "hold this wire" and "that one" (or similar) at the same time? in order for you to electrocute it?

you yourself said

craig51 said:
Out came the air rifle, and over 3 weeks got 53 of them!!!!!!!.

it worked last time, why not this time

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back