Stabilising dusty wall for render

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Long story short, I'm having my house render redone and to save money I'm knocking off the old stuff. Easy job as it's 50 yrs old. It's left behind a dusty surface which seems to be part of the origional scratch coat.

The guys who is doing the render wants me to paint it with neat sbr mixed with cement.

Does this sound ok? I would have thought a specific stabilising solution would be better?

Any advice much appreciated as I have to do this tomorrow

Thanks

Graeme

Sponsored Links
A stabilising solution is for when you want to paint over it again. If its being rendered again it will need to be something different.

Sponsored Links
Hi Steve,

That's what I thought from what I can find on here and other places. He wanted it set hard he said. It has set rock hard now so if the scratch don't stick and it blows he will be doing it again.

I asked him why he wanted me to do the prep work and he answered that I wanted to save money (correct in the fact I could knock off my render with a steely glare) I told him he needs to sign the wall off as good before doing any further work. Balls in his court.

We will see how it pans out.

Graeme
Ps thanks also to Robbie for a reply :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back