Stable door too small for frame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was supplied a stable a door and frame, unhung. Softwood, outwards opening. It’s too small for the frame to the extent it just about latches and the door just overlaps the inside of the frame by around 5mm.

It’s for a shepherds hut I’m building and doesn’t seem right lock is exposed etc. and weather will blow in.

I thought I’d try a vertical weather strip made of 6mm x 40mm hardwood vertically across the gap but it looks pretty rubbish and despite gluing and screwing it I caught the bottom within a couple of days and split it.

What are my options? Do you think I should try and line the lock side of the frame and try a shorter weather strip? I’ve already put some thicker hinges to close the gap a bit. Here’s a pic before I started trying to glue on weather strips…. Many thanks for your thoughts.
5FAFBB8B-52B9-4CC5-8357-D55AA51C065D.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Can you not add the hardwood strip you are talking about, on the inside, so the door is sitting on 11mm (5+6mm strip), with a suitable weather seal all round you should be good.

I think the door looks good, not my choice of handle.

I have an outward opening door (multipoint locking) and water ingress is not an issue, there is a pile brush down the lock side.

BTW the hut looks, good, very neat. (y)

Last edited:
If you’ve just screwed the frame in place and not foamed up, I would take the frame out, cut the mortices back a bit and close the frame in a few mms.

Sponsored Links
I was supplied a stable a door and frame, unhung. Softwood, outwards opening. It’s too small for the frame to the extent it just about latches and the door just overlaps the inside of the frame by around 5mm.

It’s for a shepherds hut I’m building and doesn’t seem right lock is exposed etc. and weather will blow in.

I thought I’d try a vertical weather strip made of 6mm x 40mm hardwood vertically across the gap but it looks pretty rubbish and despite gluing and screwing it I caught the bottom within a couple of days and split it.

What are my options? Do you think I should try and line the lock side of the frame and try a shorter weather strip? I’ve already put some thicker hinges to close the gap a bit. Here’s a pic before I started trying to glue on weather strips…. Many thanks for your thoughts.View attachment 280897
Can you not add the hardwood strip you are talking about, on the inside, so the door is sitting on 11mm (5+6mm strip), with a suitable weather seal all round you should be good.

I think the door looks good, not my choice of handle.

I have an outward opening door (multipoint locking) and water ingress is not an issue, there is a pile brush down the lock side.

BTW the hut looks, good, very neat. (y)
Thank you, I’ll try and post the project up at some point when I gather the pics together. Just doing the interior joinery at the moment. I think I might have a shot at packing the frame out as you suggest.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back