Stack Removal or Roof Repair?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
1930s Semi. Extended
Damp Chimney Breasts Upstairs and down.
The Chimney was repointed and re-flashed a couple of Years ago. One Roofer suggested Stack Removal.
I thought it was fixed but a recent refurb and skim of one of the Upstairs Rooms still showed moisture in the Breast.
During Heavy Rain, I could see water running down the Brickwork in the Loft.

I had someone out Yesterday with a view to getting the Stack Removed.
He is suggesting ether a stripping and felting around the Breast £800 or a complete re-roof of the Original Roof to add Felt £5K
Says the Slates are in very Good Condition.
House was extended sideways in about 1990. The new Part is felted and no problems that I am aware of.
The Torching (learnt that on here!) is pretty much gone.

Is a Re-Roof the best way to go and is £5 reasonable? Based in North West.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
£5 for a reroof? Bargain.
Seriously, roofing felt is a backup for the roof and shouldn't be getting wet unless there's a fault with the roof (cracked/missing slates).
Is the leaking chimney actually in use? When you say repointed and reflashed did they actually rake out to 25mm and use lead into the courses or did they just slap mortar on top and Flashband the thing?

Not 100% sure what they did to the Chimney
Came highly recommended by a local Sweep and were up there for a fair few Hours. No Flashband that I am aware of. Pretty sure it was done properly.
The Roofer Yesterday said no problems with the Lead Flashings/Chimney.

Non-Functional Gas Fire Downstairs.

I cleaned out the Loft a few Months ago. Insulation full of Slate Dust and Torching Debris.

If there are no problems with the chimney or flashing then you wouldn't be getting rainwater running down the chimney breast.
There are various things that could be happening. If the chimney has no pots on it (with associated mortar haunching) the wall may be getting saturated or rainwater may be getting inside the stack and working its way out into the loft after hitting any internal projections.
Pics would be helpful

Sponsored Links
Some Pics. Let me know if anything more required

Wall is after being skimmed. Took ages to dry compared to other Parts of the Room
My Chimney is on the Left
Brick Pics are from the Loft when it was rain very heavily
Blue Wall is downstairs before any Chimney work was done. Still about the same

Attachments

• 20220220_130258.jpg
    20220220_130258.jpg
    346.2 KB · Views: 112
  • 20220220_125424.jpg
    20220220_125424.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 125
  • 20220220_130325.jpg
    20220220_130325.jpg
    269.5 KB · Views: 145
  • 20200825_113343.jpg
    20200825_113343.jpg
    334.3 KB · Views: 128
  • 20200825_111631.jpg
    20200825_111631.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 154
Is your chimney the nearest one in the pic with one big pot on it?
If yes, I have 2 questions;
Where did the person who repointed it tie up their horse?
How did the roofer who said it was fine get his Labrador up there?

Pic is from before any Work was done.
Raining but will try to get to get a current Pic

What can you see?

Very murky photo but there's half a brick missing on the top corner of the stack & the haunching doesn't look very solid.
There's at least 10mm fresh air between each brick, ideal for allowing water to soak the structure.
Can't see the flashing.

Once the chimney issue has been fixed, any remaining roof repair can be accomplished through the application of a liquid coating. Butyl Liquid Rubber is a versatile coating for a broad range of applications. Its superior protective quality is derived from a unique combination of physical and chemical properties. Its chemistry provides extended durability, water resistance, a broad temperature tolerance and chemical and mold resistance.

Which is a really bad idea - it needs to be done properly.

The stack is gone.
Another roofer had a look, asked a few questions and recommended removal.
No sign of water ingress when it rains now.

Since this thread has popped up again.....

I still need to get the gas fire removed and the gas supply to it capped.
Once done, what do I need to do with the opening downstairs once that is done? Does it need a vent?
I also have a vent in the breast upstairs. Is that still needed?

The wet patch upstairs has already started to improve. Not sure if I need to leave it all open for a while?

Once done, what do I need to do with the opening downstairs once that is done? Does it need a vent?
I also have a vent in the breast upstairs. Is that still needed?

Personal opinion, I would keep them ventilated for say 12 months, to allow them to dry out thoroughly, then look at sealing them.

If the chimney is dropped into the attic there will be no further need for vents in the redundant flues.

Personal opinion, I would keep them ventilated for say 12 months, to allow them to dry out thoroughly, then look at sealing them.

Thanks both.

Good to know it can be sealed

I was wondering about leaving it open for a while. Might temporarily block downstairs when it gets cold.
I had a Chimney Sheep in the chimney but looks like it wandered off :)

Upstairs is fairly newly skimmed and painted and looks like it will be OK.
Not sure if downstairs is permanently stained or still a bit wet. It is on the cards for decorating next year.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back