Stacked Washer / Dryer Standpipe Options

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a utility cupboard with a washing machine that drains into a normal 40mm standpipe/trap that comes to about 90cm off the floor.

I want to add a dryer on top with a stacking kit and wondering what my drainage options are?

Should I...

a) split off another 40mm standpipe, just above the existing trap (so near floor level) from the existing standpipe and have effectively a short standpipe for the washer and a tall one for the dryer? (We've not bought a dryer yet, but a lot of them say the standpipe must be a minimum of 60cm above the base of the dryer, why is this?)

b) cap the existing standpipe with one of these
http://www.wickes.co.uk/McAlpine-V33WM-Connection-for-Standpipe-Trap-38mm/p/227038
and connect both appliances to it? The dryer's drain attachment might be be below what it says in the manual but is this ok?

Sponsored Links
Buy a dryer with it`s own water tank that you empty every two or three machine loads, no need for a standpipe then.

Sure, but I'd prefer the neatness of a plumbed in option

Sponsored Links
Not having to empty the tank is what I was working on. Perhaps you're right, but if there's a simple option that means I don't need to empty the thing then I'll consider it.

standpipe must be a minimum of 60cm above the base of the dryer, why is this?
Otherwise it will just drain by itself, the loop up to 60cm holds the water in when it's not pumping.
I'd go for plumbed in too, with the air break at the right height as you suggest
Edit: although in hindsight, why would you want to hold the water in a dryer?:LOL: Maybe it's just standard copy and paste or just washing machine pump compatibility

Last edited:
The dryer I have has a drain hose with an OD of about 10mm. It would fit in the same standpipe as the washing machine.
Is that an option?

Edit: although in hindsight, why would you want to hold the water in a dryer?:LOL: Maybe it's just standard copy and paste or just washing machine pump compatibility
Condensing tumble dryer with small water tank in the bottom makes it a lot more versatile as to where you can site them :LOL:
Standard copy and paste, washing machine pump compatibility :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back