Installing dryer in "wet" utility room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My utility room is set up with a drain in the floor in an alcove where the previous owners used to hang clothes -- a bit like a wet room.

Elsewhere in the utility room there is the usual sink, washing machine, countertop height sockets etc.

The alcove is the perfect size for our condensing tumble dryer, which I have piped to discharge into the drain below.

I'd like to run power to the tumble dryer in the stud wall behind the alcove, spurring off one leg of the ring main (using wago boxes) in the loft above the alcove to a single socket or FCU above/behind the dryer. The circuit is RCD protected at the consumer unit

What are my options? Should I use an FCU above the dryer at the same height as other sockets in the room and use a flex outlet plate behind the dryer? If I do this, the outlet plate will be very close to the drain.Is that OK, or do I need to treat the room as a "wet room"?

Or am I limited to a socket halfway up the wall to plug the dryer into?

In terms of safety, the dryer drain doesn't splash at all, as very little water is produced. I'm more worried about the work being up to standard (or even allowed) if this must be treated as a special zone.

There's no provision for it now, but if either of the above solutions is acceptable, would it be totally out of the question to hang damp clothes above the dryer? It's still a nice alcove. Perhaps with a weatherproof FCU?

Either way will beat the temporary extension lead we're using now.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
There is no fixed shower or bath in the room?

You don't want wet clothes dripping on an electrical appliance.

No bath or shower in the room.

Yes, I'm not really seriously considering drying clothes over it.... Perhaps with a worktop over it! But really only after getting power to the dryer at this point.

Attachments

• IMG_20210820_000836.jpg
    IMG_20210820_000836.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 59
hang them over the sink and drainer.

And add an extractor fan near the ceiling to suck out the water vapour.

Sponsored Links
hang them over the sink and drainer.

And add an extractor fan near the ceiling to suck out the water vapour.
That's the thing, the previous owners were quite thoughtful, there's a floor drain and a passive vent above... A great alcove for clothes drying. It's also the only place the tumble dryer fits without remodelling the room right now, so needs must.

IMG_20210820_001058.jpg

but that doesn't stop you having a hanging rail or roll-out line above the sink and drainer

which is ideal for accomodating drips.

you can put your racks for dry laundry on the wall above the drier.

So no problems with an outlet plate near a drain?

if it's 450mm above floor level, are you expecting water to splash it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back