Installing a spur for a Washing Machine and Tumble Dryer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello
I have a double socket above the worktop which I use for the kettle and toaster.
From this I wish to add a spur for my washing machine and tumble dryer.
Is it correct to run a cable into a metal mounting box capable of holding 2 separate Fused Connection Units,link the two FCU's via a short cable within the mounting box and then run cables from each FCU to two separate sockets which will be situated beneath the worktop?

Sponsored Links
You wil have to extend the ring for this, as the 2 appliances draw more than 3kw, so they can't go on the same unfused or fused spur. Can you do it like this:
[code:1]----------socket socket----------
| |
| |
FCU--FCU-------[/code:1]

The circuit is buried inside metal tubes so access is difficult.
Can a cable be run directly from one double socket to another or is that totally incorrect?

you could do this:
[code:1]
----------socket------------------socket----------------
| |
| |
FCU FCU[/code:1]

Sponsored Links
That's probably going to be the best bet.
Is it possible to extend the ring circuit bearing in mind the fact that the cables are housed in conduits?
How could it be carried out?

Knock a hole out of the bottom of the 2 socket boxes in question and fit a rubber grommit in them (unless you are using metal conduit: a skilled job). If you are extending the ring (my first suggestion, simply disconnect the cable between the 2 sockets and tape it up (or draw it back out of the conduit). Connect the new cables through the new holes in the socket boxes, and chase out the plaster to the new FCUs, and connect the 2 FCUs together.

The conduit may carry the earth, be sure to maintain the earth throughout. By the way, this work is notifiable under part p and should be tested afterwards.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back