Utility room - washing machine and tumble dryer wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had some work done to increase size of utility room so both a tumble dryer and washing machine can fit next to each other.

Currently the washing machine is wiring into a FCU as seen in the picture. Would also like to have the tumble dryer (condensing heat pump) also wired in below where the new worktop will go.

What's the best way to go about this?
IMG_20191002_195445.jpg

Sponsored Links
There are two FCUs in the picture. Are they both for the washing machine?

How many cables are connected to the double socket?
What is the rating (Amps) of the fuse or MCB protecting the circuit?

There are two FCUs in the picture. Are they both for the washing machine?

How many cables are connected to the double socket?
What is the rating (Amps) of the fuse or MCB protecting the circuit?

Yes they are both for the washing machine. That's how they were since moved in a few months back.

There are 2 cables going to the double socket. The MCB for the circuit is 32A

If it was me, I would add another switched FCU above the worktop, to control a single socket below the worktop.

It APPEARS this may be a ring circuit, you may as well 'extend' the ring to supply the new FCU, as extending rings is always preferable to spurring.

Sponsored Links
If it was me, I would add another switched FCU above the worktop, to control a single socket below the worktop.

It APPEARS this may be a ring circuit, you may as well 'extend' the ring to supply the new FCU, as extending rings is always preferable to spurring.

You don't need 2 FCUs in line as you have. You also don't need an FCU feeding a socket which has a fused plug as suggested above.

So. If you must have isolation above the worktop (which is not required) change the existing FCU for a 20 amp switch or as an alternative change the lower FCU for a socket and plug (makes maintenance much easier). For you tumble dryer add another switch or FCU above the worktop and another socket or FCU below.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back