Will my tumble dryer be safe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had a tumble dryer in the garage as we are renovating. Plugged into extension reel along with washing machine and both keep tripping if used together. Noticed that the tumble dryer cord was caught under the machine and was warm as the machine was on. No cuts to the cord but it is slightly squashed. Will this be safe? I will not plug it into the extension reel again but worried the wires inside the cord could be damaged without me knowing.

Attachments

• EB17658E-5B38-4FD3-AC5E-1A58FF54DE82.jpeg
    EB17658E-5B38-4FD3-AC5E-1A58FF54DE82.jpeg
    135.8 KB · Views: 60
  • 7DA70B79-4D58-498C-BB94-E1B4C48478B1.jpeg
    7DA70B79-4D58-498C-BB94-E1B4C48478B1.jpeg
    300.1 KB · Views: 61
Sponsored Links
I have had a tumble dryer in the garage as we are renovating. Plugged into extension reel along with washing machine and both keep tripping if used together.
What is tripping?

It's very unlikley that an 'extension reel' would be man enough to run both a WM and dryer simultaneously - is it getting hot?

Kind Regards, John

Thanks. I have realised I shouldn’t use the extension reel for both after looking it up. My real question is do you think the mains cable for the tumble dryer is safe if it has been slightly crushed (but not broken) and got hot as it was trapped in parts between the dryers base and the floor?

Sponsored Links
What is tripping?

It's very unlikley that an 'extension reel' would be man enough to run both a WM and dryer simultaneously - is it getting hot?

Kind Regards, John
It’s the builder’s reel and wasn’t hot but now know not to do this.

And if you try and run even one of them, you must fully unwind the cable from the reel or the cable will melt and catch fire.

Thanks. I have realised I shouldn’t use the extension reel for both after looking it up. I won’t use it at all for the tumble dryer. My real question is do you think the mains cable for the tumble dryer is safe if it has been slightly crushed (but not broken) and got hot as it was trapped in parts between the dryers base and the floor?

Thanks. I have realised I shouldn’t use the extension reel for both after looking it up. My real question is do you think the mains cable for the tumble dryer is safe if it has been slightly crushed (but not broken) and got hot as it was trapped in parts between the dryers base and the floor?
It's obviously impossible to be sure 'at a distance', but it's pretty unlikley that the 'slightly crushed' cable is a problem.

Kind Regards, John

Thank you. We have an electrician coming to upgrade our fuse box tomorrow, I guess he can advise if the cable getting hot as it was next to the tumble dryer while on May have caused damaged but assume if it’s not melted on outside then won’t be inside?

Thank you. We have an electrician coming to upgrade our fuse box tomorrow, I guess he can advise if the cable getting hot as it was next to the tumble dryer while on May have caused damaged but assume if it’s not melted on outside then won’t be inside?
Oh, in that case, it would obviously make sense to ask him to give the 'slightly crushed' cable a look over.

Kind Regards, John

My friend uses a fully unwound extension cable for her tumble dryer as she cant place it near a socket.....

My friend uses a fully unwound extension cable for her tumble dryer as she cant place it near a socket.....
If it's fully unwound, rated at 13A and serving nothing else at the same time as the dryer, that's probably OK, even if not ideal.

Kind Regards, John

If it's fully unwound, rated at 13A and serving nothing else at the same time as the dryer, that's probably OK, even if not ideal.

Kind Regards, John
Probably ok? it depends. The instructions for many tumble dryer tell you not to use an extension reel. Here’s why:
Current draw of the dryer. The draw of the average tumble dryer is 11amps.

Now look at the rating of your extension lead. Example below. Fully wound it can only hack 3amps. Unwound it may not be able to handle the tumble dryer.
IMG_3156.jpeg

So care needed. Make sure your extension reel can do 13amp. As John has pointed out.

And with regards to the mains cable that was sitting underneath the dryer and had been squashed and was hot (because the dryer was hot) if the casing is in tack just a bit squashed and not melted is your opinion that it should be okay? Clearer pics here

Attachments

• 5A94C435-7C4D-4DA6-B8D8-38133786CA67.jpeg
    5A94C435-7C4D-4DA6-B8D8-38133786CA67.jpeg
    212.8 KB · Views: 51
  • 6D8DE8EE-DAE7-429A-B26E-8517F67B4FCC.jpeg
    6D8DE8EE-DAE7-429A-B26E-8517F67B4FCC.jpeg
    207.7 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
And with regards to the mains cable that was sitting underneath the dryer and had been squashed and was hot (because the dryer was hot) if the casing is in tack just a bit squashed and not melted is your opinion that it should be okay? Clearer pics here
Impossible to tell without being there and testing.

Okay thank you - assuming the electrician who is upgrading the fuse box today could do that if I ask, fingers crossed

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back