advice re: utility room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

new to the forum and been reading quite a few posts regarding above.

I have moved into a house which has a utility room. There is a double socket in there which is running the washing machine, the tumble dryer and the boiler (on extension)... Yes.. I am shocked and dont think its safe.

I understand that under the new regs, the combi boiler should be on a dedicated circuit. Does that apply to to Washing Machines and Tumble Dryers?

Can I run Washing Machine and Dryer on the same circuit each with 13A fused spur?

Should this circuit be a 32 Amp RCD with 2.5m wire?
I am thinking of giving a Combi Boiler its own dedicated circuit with a 6Amp RCD and a 3Amp fused spur? (at the moment its connected via flex cable to the extension)

Please advise.

Sponsored Links
There is a double socket in there which is running the washing machine, the tumble dryer
You shouldn't have WM and TD on the same socket on at the same time.

and the boiler (on extension)...
Do you mean a spur or extension lead?
If you mean a gas boiler (you say combi below so yes) then that's ok

I understand that under the new regs, the combi boiler should be on a dedicated circuit. Does that apply to to Washing Machines and Tumble Dryers?
No, to all.

Can I run Washing Machine and Dryer on the same circuit each with 13A fused spur?
You could.

Should this circuit be a 32 Amp RCD with 2.5m wire?
I am thinking of giving a Combi Boiler its own dedicated circuit with a 6Amp RCD and a 3Amp fused spur? (at the moment its connected via flex cable to the extension)
You're terminology indicates some lack of understanding.

I don't really know why you are worrying.

Thanks for the quick response..

Its a combi boiler (central heating + hot water). Yes, its connected to an extension lead.

On one of the double sockets, WM is plugged to one and the extension lead is plugged to the other. Then on the extension lead the boiler and the TD is connected.

Not knowing what type of socket it is. I am planning to:

- Run 2.5mm cable straight to the CU (please advise what amp RCD should I used 16amp or 32 amp to run both WM and TD on the same circuit) and have each TD and WM on a 13amp spur.

- Run 1.5mm cable straight to the CU to connect the Combi Boiler and have a 6amp RCD and connect the Combi Boiler to a 3amp spur.

please correct me if I am wrong.. the current setup looks like a mess with no isolation. Sorry if I am not using the correct terminology. Please bear with me on this.

Its a combi boiler (central heating + hot water). Yes, its connected to an extension lead.
May not be ideal but alright, as such.

On one of the double sockets, WM is plugged to one and the extension lead is plugged to the other. Then on the extension lead the boiler and the TD is connected.
Again, not ideal but as long as the WM and TD are not switched on at the same time it will be safe.

- Run 2.5mm cable straight to the CU (please advise what amp RCD should I used 16amp or 32 amp to run both WM and TD on the same circuit) and have each TD and WM on a 13amp spur.
That's not the problem.
I am assuming (never assume) that the socket is on a normal ring final circuit from a 32A MCB and as such the circuit is quite capable of handling the current drawn by all the appliances.

The problem is having all of them on one (albeit double) socket.
If you were to fit another socket next to the present one on the same circuit that would then be fine.

- Run 1.5mm cable straight to the CU to connect the Combi Boiler and have a 6amp RCD and connect the Combi Boiler to a 3amp spur.
You could do that - 6A MCB (miniature circuit breaker).

please correct me if I am wrong.. the current setup looks like a mess with no isolation. Sorry if I am not using the correct terminology. Please bear with me on this.
That's ok.

It does seem a mess but to emphasise, the only problem, electrically, is that the WM and TD are supplied from the same socket.

Sponsored Links
If you installa NEW circuit for anything to the consumer unit then you are into having to notify the local authority and pay their fees (budget £200+) or use a registered electrician.

Per the above comments, your terminology indicates you may not have the competence to install a new circuit and to test and certify it to the satisfaction of the local authority.

I would abandon those thoughts and look at how you can improve the existing situation.

1. Is the existing socket on a ring? Do a quick check and see how many cables are in the back of the socket. If there is only one then it is already a spur and the following doesnt apply.

2. If it is on a ring final (and you'd need to do some continuity checks to confirm this). If OK then I would extend the existing ring so you have two separate single sockets, one for each appliance and a fuse connection unit (3amp fuse) for the combi boiler).

It sounds like you are short of sockets in the utility so now may be the time to add another double to charge up your MP3 player/drill, etc etc.

See guidance in teh WIKI on how to extend a ring final circuit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back