Electric to outdoor utility room

Sponsored Links
In the absence of the OP responding we are all guessing
Indeed, and in the absence of further input from OP, I would say that to assume (guess) that we're talking about a fused spur because the OP had proposed to use 2.5mm² cable would seem to be particularly unwise.

As long as the cable run is not hugely long, 2.5 should be OK.

I would not bother with a CU. You are limited to 13A anyway, so I would put a DP switched fused connection unit in the shed, feeding your sockets and another SFCU at 3/5A for lighting.

But everything will be limited by the 13A fuse on the end of the spur that you take off the ring final.
Could the CU in the utility room avoid the house fuse tripping?

Sponsored Links
I am happy to come out of the ring in the house into a FCU and then from here outdoors with a SWA (2.5 or 4mm?). I would then add a CU in the utility of it meant that any overload/fault will be handled here, rather than trip the circuit in the house.

I am happy to come out of the ring in the house into a FCU and then from here outdoors with a SWA (2.5 or 4mm?).
If you goes through a (13A) FCU then, as has been said, 2.5mm² cable would be adequate unless the run was very long (in which case 'voltage drop' issues might conceivably arise) - but, as has also been said, that would limit the supply to 13A, not really enough to run, say, your proposed dryer and WM at the same time.
I would then add a CU in the utility of it meant that any overload/fault will be handled here, rather than trip the circuit in the house.
As has also been said, with an upstream 13A fuse, a CU would really not be either necessary or useful. The circuit in the house would not be expected to ever get tripped by an overload, since the 13A fuse in the FCU ought to 'blow' before the 32A breaker in the CU tripped.

I am happy to come out of the ring in the house into a FCU and then from here outdoors with a SWA (2.5 or 4mm?). I would then add a CU in the utility of it meant that any overload/fault will be handled here, rather than trip the circuit in the house.

A 2nd CU will not guarantee anything other than extra costs to install.

A 2nd CU will not guarantee anything other than extra costs to install.
indeed...
As has also been said, with an upstream 13A fuse, a CU would really not be either necessary or useful. The circuit in the house would not be expected to ever get tripped by an overload, since the 13A fuse in the FCU ought to 'blow' before the 32A breaker in the CU tripped.

For my understanding, if I was coming off a 16amp MCB, then I would benefit from an additional CU?
Thanks for your help.

For my understanding, if I was coming off a 16amp MCB, then I would benefit from an additional CU?
Not really. What rating of MCB in the CU would you be contemplating, and what do you think it would achieve?

In fact, if (with a 13A fuse in the spur, if the source MCB (in house CU) were 16A then that would be much more likely to trip (in the case of an overload) than would be the 32A one.

What rating MCB at source would benefit from a CU?
If there's a 13A fuse in the spur, then the rating of the 'source' MCB is essentially irrelevant - although, as I've just written, the lower the rating of the MCB, the more likely that it would trip (rather than the fuse blowing) in the event of an overload.

Depends on the load on the circuit, the length of the cable AND the installation method
I thought we were now talking about a 13A fused spur - in which case 2.5mm² cable of any length and any installation method would be OK (unless it was so long that Zs became an issue) - and, in any event, the considerations you mention would have no bearing on the rating of the MCB upstream of the FCU

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back