New Kitchen/Utility Room Wiring - Novice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I am in the process of building an extension which will ultimately have a Kitchen and a Utility room in it. At some point i will need to get electricity to it so i am investigating what i can do in the first instance.

Here is what i was thinking. i was hoping that i would be able to do the first fix as i will be putting up the studs and insulation etc so it will be reasonably easy for me to do this.

I was hoping that i could by a new consumer unit from Screwfix and place this either IN the new utility room or on the wall of the old kitchen which will be on the existing house side of the utility room. Once i have all of the cables etc labelled and pulled back to the consumer unit and then the electrician (I hope) will be able to connect the consumer unit back to the existing consumer unit.

Regarding the hardware to be installed there will be
Cookers x 2 @2.9Kw
Microwave x 1 @3.1Kw
Induction Hob x 1 (not sure of the wattage yet)
Extractor Fan x 1 (not sure of the wattage yet - one of those pop up ones)
Freezer + cooker
Dishwasher
And in utility room
Washing Machine
Condenser Spin Drier
Fridge/Freezer
Also security lighting outside x 3 units
External power socket (double) for lawnmower etc

And also enough power sockets

Would it be better to get each bit of hardware on its own breaker in the consumer unit and then maybe two rings for sockets left and right, lighting on its own, security lights on their own and external power on its own?

Does that sound right?

Sponsored Links
I've had an electrician agree to me laying the external cable intended to feed a stable/shed 40m away. He then inspected it, made the connections, tested, and certified the work. You can't assume others will; not least if your work is going to be hidden, because he/she will be taking responsibility for ALL of the work.

i was thinking more of a first fix whereby i lay the cable but do not connect it at either end, the electrician will do that but hopefully would be cheaper than them doing the whole thing right?

Sponsored Links
@leevis
I know you want to save yourself some money. but all this work is notifiable. you need to Identify and engage your electrician NOW. He will tell you what, where and how (and if) you can do some of the grunt yourself.
when it’s all done he will have to certify that me has
DESIGNED
INSTALLED AND
TESTED
the whole shebang himself. also he will have to go through the process of notifying the installation through his scheme. Again saying it’s his own work.

To answer your question, it's mostly down to you as the customer how far to split up the circuits. You could have one circuit for the cooking appliances, one for the lighting, and one for everything else, and all on one up front RCD, or you could have it broken down like you mention.
But yes as mentioned above it would be wise to get buy in from someone qualified before buying any materials.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back