new oven v. utility room

It is very reassuring and helpful to know there are people out there prepared to discuss these points and enlighten the rest of us with their insights.

The rating plate on my oven only gives power (KW) and the spec sheet only gives energy consumption (KWh). I originally only looked at the spec sheet which is where I went wrong.

I am sure the distinction between energy and power will catch out many DIYers...why don't manufacturers just show both items on the rating plate and in the specs.

Could anyone confirm my thinking on the question of my min. requirements for this oven now that it is properly established as 4.3KW.

Thanks to all!

Sponsored Links
I am sure the distinction between energy and power will catch out many DIYers...
Which is why the makers CTA by saying "must be installed by a qualified electrician"

why don't manufacturers just show both items on the rating plate and in the specs.
God knows - it's complete lunacy. I just checked the specs on the website of my forthcoming new cooker to see how badly adrift someone could go given that it's got 2 separate ovens and a separate grill, and could clock up 8.6kW, but they've not (yet) joined in the lunacy, and no specious kWh figures are quoted.

Could anyone confirm my thinking on the question of my min. requirements for this oven now that it is properly established as 4.3KW.
Ah - now thereby hangs a tale. Do you believe in diversity?

The simplest answer is 4300/230=18.7, therefore a 20A circuit as Steve said. (But if you're putting a new circuit in you might as well use 6mm² or even 10mm² cable, as the extra cost will be marginal, and you'll be future proofed.)

The other answer is 10A + (18.7-10)x0.3 = 12.61, which means you could indeed run it from a regular FCU with a 13A fuse..

Sponsored Links
Thanks to all of you for your advice and suggestions.

I think I will stay off the thin ice and leave this job to a qualified sparks.

Cheers. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back