Wiring a New Kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've built a new extension to fitted out as a Kitchen and I'm in the process of wiring it.

No problems with the lighting side of things but would appreciate some clarification on the power side to meet building regulations.

As I'm replacing the consumer unit (MK 12W split load with 10 MCBs), I have plenty of spare MCBs. (1x40, 4x32, 2x16, 3x6) Old domino unit has 5 fuses.

I need to accommodate the following: -

Built in Cooker 5.6 Kw - 6m to consumer unit
Hob 6.4 Kw - as above
Built-under Fridge
Built-under Freezer
Built-under Dishwasher
6 double sockets

There will be a separate Utility room for spare freezer, washing m/c, tumble drier etc.

Floor is suspended wooden, therefore all cable will come up the wall I assume. I can daisy chain a ring main easy enough but I get conflicting advice when it comes to the appliances/fused spurs.

Thanks in advance, Kelvin.

Sponsored Links
Hi, I've built a new extension to fitted out as a Kitchen and I'm in the process of wiring it.

No problems with the lighting side of things but would appreciate some clarification on the power side to meet building regulations.

As I'm replacing the consumer unit (MK 12W split load with 10 MCBs), I have plenty of spare MCBs. (1x40, 4x32, 2x16, 3x6) Old domino unit has 5 fuses.

I need to accommodate the following: -

Built in Cooker 5.6 Kw - 6m to consumer unit
Hob 6.4 Kw - as above
Built-under Fridge
Built-under Freezer
Built-under Dishwasher
6 double sockets

There will be a separate Utility room for spare freezer, washing m/c, tumble drier etc.

Floor is suspended wooden, therefore all cable will come up the wall I assume. I can daisy chain a ring main easy enough but I get conflicting advice when it comes to the appliances/fused spurs.

Thanks in advance, Kelvin.
32 amp supply for hob
32 amp for oven
32amp ring for sockets and dishwasher
32 amp ring for utility room
20 amp radial for fridge and freezer(non rcd)
16 amp for spare freezer(non rcd)
all appliances through spurs controlling sso.
thats the best way
let the slating begin!

If you are in England or Wales, have you notified the LABC about the work you intend to do or are they inspecting it as part of the build inspection?

Thanks for your replies, but what about the rest of the house, the new CSU is not just the extension!

I need a more detailed description of how to wire the appliances.

Lets assume I've carcassed in a ring for the kitchen, do I then take a spur from one of the sockets above the work surface? If so, do I need to drop down below the floor and then back up? If this is so then do you take the wire up to the fused spur and then back down to a sigle socket?

Yes the LABC are aware and will need to sign off on this.

Sponsored Links
If the single socket is for a washing machine or dish washer, etc. which is under the worktop, what you can do is, to have a 20A double pole (DP) switch above the worktop, which turns a unswitched single socket under the worktop on or off.

The DP switch would be part of the kitchen ring, & from the DP switch a piece of 2.5mm T+E would run down to the single socket

Thanks mdbalson, this is exactly what I needed!

Does this hold good for the fridge & freezer as I was intended to put the ring on a 32 Amp with RCD?

If you can run a seperate NON RCD circuit for the fridge freezer, terminated at a single socket behind, or above the appliance. This ensures nothing else can affect the operation of the FF.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back